Lighting Setup in Unfamiliar/Unknown Venues

Uriahdemon

you can let the console discover it using RigSync. When discovered and patched you can remotely change its mode and DMX address to something more useful to you. Then disable RDM and delete the discovered fixture, and change profiles of your original fixture to match the settings you just remotely adjusted on your replacement.

Which you best remember to put back when your show is over- else you'll have an irate venue crew! I don't think it's necessary (or good manners) to need to re address someone else's rig. The tools provided will allow you to get it into the console and merge the programming as best you can.

Yes good point- there is an option with RigSync to "Revert Rig Back" when you go to Delete a fixture, so that it will do exactly that.

someone turning up at the venue on get in day is probably unlikely to be able to make use of the email request service from you- if it's a non standard fixture (and it must be, otherwise it would be in the library already) then who knows if it even matches the documentation available! ?... let alone holding the show till you email back a file ?

This is very true. Getting as much information as possible about the venue is vital, allowing you to find out whether their particular fixture is missing from the 8000 in the library!

Edward

(and sales pitch ;) )

Oops- sorry not intended! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

?????? Have I got it wrong.... please say so if that is the case....??

Thanks all, your replies are much appreciated.

I will stay away from the functionality of any particular desks as I see this as a generic problem. I am actually quite happy with mine but what this topic has highlighted is that there will be occasions when within a pre-programmed show, there may not be a way of either replacing profiles for the in house fixtures (and it coming good) or making your own fixture profiles within the limited time from get in to show time. So thanks for all that.

My approach will be if arriving at a venue without firm Tech Specs (and happy for any comments, also assuming RDM not available on in house fixtures):

Pitch up with Pre-programmed ground rig. Add in house fixtures onto that (if possible given the discussion here) and that will be that.

Is it considered an unnecessary overhead prior to the event to ask for in addition to the in house fixture list the DMX addresses and the fixture positions .....??

Rgds

Mac

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif

you can let the console discover it using RigSync. When discovered and patched you can remotely change its mode and DMX address to something more useful to you. Then disable RDM and delete the discovered fixture, and change profiles of your original fixture to match the settings you just remotely adjusted on your replacement.

Which you best remember to put back when your show is over- else you'll have an irate venue crew! I don't think it's necessary (or good manners) to need to re address someone else's rig. The tools provided will allow you to get it into the console and merge the programming as best you can.

Yes good point- there is an option with RigSync to "Revert Rig Back" when you go to Delete a fixture, so that it will do exactly that.

someone turning up at the venue on get in day is probably unlikely to be able to make use of the email request service from you- if it's a non standard fixture (and it must be, otherwise it would be in the library already) then who knows if it even matches the documentation available! ?... let alone holding the show till you email back a file ?

This is very true. Getting as much information as possible about the venue is vital, allowing you to find out whether their particular fixture is missing from the 8000 in the library!

Edward

(and sales pitch ;) )

Oops- sorry not intended! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif

Cheers, daunting but looking forward to it. Now I can manage the expectations of the band with a bit of assurance....** laughs out loud **

No. Properly advancing your show, and receiving the venue information and patch in return, gives you the best head start before the truck doors open at load in. Welcome to the world of production management.

Cheers, daunting but looking forward to it. Now I can manage the expectations of the band with a bit of assurance....** laughs out loud **

No. Properly advancing your show, and receiving the venue information and patch in return, gives you the best head start before the truck doors open at load in. Welcome to the world of production management.

Thanks.... it certainly is interesting so far although unbelievably difficult to get the patch info out of venues.... I will persevere !!

You didn't say what types of venues you were visiting, and it can make quite a difference. For example, at my main venue it would be very difficult to get a patch in advance, or even a rig plan, simply because there isn't a fixed rig. We'll happily tell you what kit is available (and working) and will rig to a plan you provide, but if you just want to use what's already up, that will be whatever the last show used, or a guess at what you might want if it was a disco or something different like that.

Likewise, some of the smaller places I've been into, they don't have a patch because all the lighting is controlled by 'that computer in the corner' which nobody there knows how to actually work beyond the presets someone programmed in a few years back.

Archived