DMX controller with open close contact control

CARWYN

Bit of confusion here methinks...

some relays from the projector

Modern digital projection servers do have relays in them

Two different devices being discussed. :blink:

I don’t think so. The OP spoke about creating a cinema. If you want to show most films, you’ll need a projector and a projection server. Films these days are distributed on hard drives and are usually encrypted. File size is typically around 1GB per minute for a 2K film. The server is used to store all the films, trailers, and adverts, and to manage licenses required to show encrypted content.

so as ive opened a can of worms it is a proper cinema setup with a cinema server and projector etc the server has open close contact relays out and hence my thinking for this type of setup so I would also be able to sort out on the same system a push button relays for cleaners and staff to be able to use also when cleaning and wanting to switch on any lighting

thanks

carwyn

In the old days of cinema, this would have been done by a Strand PUD (programmable Up Down) house control, featuring several wall plates with switches, controlling single channels Strand dimmers. In Australia they were JTM dimmers. The next generation was Environ

It is now done, much more expensively with Strand Lighting Vision.Net . It will be cheaper to look up BR posts on house light scene setter wall plates.

so as ive opened a can of worms it is a proper cinema setup with a cinema server and projector etc the server has open close contact relays out and hence my thinking for this type of setup so I would also be able to sort out on the same system a push button relays for cleaners and staff to be able to use also when cleaning and wanting to switch on any lighting

thanks

carwyn

As Tim suggests Lutron and Crestron though can get into locked proprietary systems with installer codes on everything.

Architectural market is quite a lot different from theatre market, expect cardboard brochures, smooth salesman and prices that are breathtaking. Not to mention strangled limited functionality with things like DALI.

Inbetween Anytronics and Mode would be worth talking to

http://www.modelighting.com/

http://www.anytronics.com/

The projector may or may not have relays; ours (Barco DP2K) has opto-transistors, so one has to get the polarity right and not exceed the specs. But pretty much no-one uses on-projector GPIO ports.

The in-vogue (or is it "on-trend") way for digital cinema to interface houselights is the Jnior controllers, and there is now a Jnior model, the 412DMX, which has a direct DMX512 output, which may be enough to do exactly what you need. To quote the website:

Now the JNIOR can do all of its normal great functions AND provide DMX control for 512 channels (1 universe). The 412DMX includes a software application that allows you to create fixtures, scripts, scenes and chases. A separate web page allows you to dynamically view in REAL-TIME the value of each of the 512 channels as well as pop-up a web page of sliders for each fixture

We are using an Anyscene 512 to achieve exactly this in a new cinema we are installing this coming week. Anytronics now make a version with contact closures on terminals which is about to be installed into a large cinema chain for house light control.

Josh

• 7 months later...

The in-vogue (or is it "on-trend") way for digital cinema to interface houselights is the Jnior controllers, and there is now a Jnior model, the 412DMX, which has a direct DMX512 output, which may be enough to do exactly what you need.

So I happened to be searching for work related things and came across this reference to the controller that I have developed. I appreciate it. Yeah, the JNIOR is seen as a "staple" in the Digital Cinema world. We've been supplying a form of it for over a decade and a half. We've shipped now to over 54 different countries and estimate to be part of 1/3rd of screens world-wide (there are 170,000 to 200,000 screens total at this point). It is a generic controller that finds widespread use in a whole variety of things beyond that.

I used to do lighting, sound and some set design for theatre productions back in my high school and early college days (c1972). I bet there is a world of difference now. It was a passion for a while before I became entrenched in industry.

On topic... The 412DMX is a controller that both has Relay Outputs and an Isolated DMX512 output. But if you are looking for a DMX fixture providing relay closures (say for an on-stage effect to be synchronized from the lighting panel) I have an isolated DMX adapter for the standard JNIOR. This lets the JNIOR participate in the DMX512 universe and monitor an assigned channel or range of channels. You can then create an application to do just about anything with the channel data.

Right now it is an adapter for a JNIOR but if you all find this useful I would be happy to create a JNIOR model with the DMX fixture function built-in. Technical details of the adapter are here: https://jnior.com/20...ture-revisited/ This addresses the potential hassle with trying to capture DMX channel data with a serial port. I have the pictured adapter boards available which work nicely with the JNIOR AUX port.

Anyway, With INTEG you get direct access to the ownership and the engineers. I would be happy to elaborate. We're just anxious to share what we have developed. Actually, anxious to do new things with it. If you are curious, we can talk about it. I would certainly be happy to hang out here to support anyone who might need it if you find an application for our controller. You want the JNIOR Series 4 (black label) and not so much the Series 3 (white label). The latter might be available on eBay and just doesn't have the performance or capability of the latest version. Only the newer stuff does DMX. You can get the JNIOR via our website (www.integpg.com).

Archived