MSF-controlled Time Switch?

KevinE

Most GPS and MSF clocks are "good enough" clocks running free and re-sync'd to their standard every so often. You could sync to MSF and GPS with some kind of checking to determine which one is more accurate (or even present at all). I understand that there is an Indian satellite nav system and a Russian one. Plenty of time standards to confuse any issue.

NPL at Teddington are probably the best authority to contact about suppliers of something accurate enough and stable enough for your needs AND suitably resistant to power outages GPS outages and MSF outages.

The challenges include the fact that quarter seconds are added to very occasional days to keep the clock in sync with the earth's rotation, and that not all countries maintain the same daylight saving time changeover dates. Clearly you will need to indicate UK standard time with UK daylight saving time.

The challenges include the fact that quarter seconds are added to very occasional days to keep the clock in sync with the earth's rotation

Really? I thought only whole seconds (leap seconds) were added or subtracted. With many timecode transmissions there is a field which indicates how far ahead of/ behind sidereal time the clock is but they only change the time when it is out by half a second.

I once worked with the guy who, at NPL, used to add the quarter seconds.

Well, that sent me down a fascinating web warren... I really should get out more! Presumably your guy was working pre 1971 when they stopped fractional adjustments of UTC and settled on whole second adjustments only?

Sorry OP, really have wandered off topic now!

Dave

Archived