GPO panel mount socket

richard

An 'A' gauge jack is a common 1/4" jack plug, sort of thing you might find on a guitar lead or a pair of headphones. A 'B' gauge plug has the same diameter but has a smaller tip; also known as Post Office jacks or GPO jacks. Historically used in old fashioned manual telephone exchanges, they became extensively used in broadcast and recording environments.

If I remember correctly, the "A-gauge" is pretty much a standard 1/4" TRS jack. "B-gauge" has a deeper "notch" at the tip, and the ring is a slightly different length.

Sticking a standard plug into a B-type socket is not a good idea, as it can damage the contacts.

If I remember correctly, the 'A-gauge' is pretty much a standard 1/4" TRS jack. 'B-gauge' has a deeper 'notch' at the tip, and the ring is a slightly different length.

Sticking a standard plug into a B-type socket is not a good idea, as it can damage the contacts.

You have it about right except I would be careful with using the term 'standard'. The origin of the word 'jack' means socket, ie you would have a plug and jack. and the original is in fact the 'B gauge'. The cheaper and lower quality 'A gauge' was introduced much later as a 2 pole version (now described as mono). Describing a plug as 'standard' will vary between the styles depending on the industry.

As an aside the original jack was not a hole which the plug was inserted through, it was a series of open contacts which the plug was hooked onto.

I just about remember dad's first amplifier in the 50's, it had a B-gauge for the balanced mic I/p and what was effectively a pair of 2mm banana plugs spaced about 3/4" for the gram I/p. The (still existing and occasionally used) speakers have the same connector on the side.

I was told many years ago the non PO version was originally made by a company called Gage which gave rise to the phrase 'a Gage plug' in the same way one would say: 'a Rayrolle plug'. I truly don't know if there is any truth in it, I have my suspicions it was one of those old wives tales that abound all industries. (Like the term 81's). But Hoover did manufacture the first vacuum cleaner and singer...

Archived