Help required projected backdrop

You're looking at buying now?

As others have said, ultra short throws will be somewhat impracticable in this kind of situation. Even the tiniest movement of the screen will result in huge changes in the image - normal flexible rear projection surfaces will be no good. Trying to do an edge blend will be close to impossible.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In terms of the projector, it also really depends on how bright your lights are going to be onstage, and if any of these will hit the backdrop. The projector that you've mentioned is only 4k lumens, so that isn't particularly bright in terms of competing with stage lights. We use a 6k Hitachi for back projection, and this gets washed out in brighter states. Likewise with our 10k projector doing front projection if nothing but front light is being used - it all depends on what else is happening on stage and where the light is falling with regard to the screen. You could possibly get away with it if your stage was lit just in side light, and none of it spills onto the screen...

As you're using 2 projectors, what sort of software are you using to match the image?

I have found this site invaluable when speccing projectors and calculating throw quickly. Most are on there, and you can try different lens options too http://www.projector...-calculator.cfm

• 1 month later...

Im now looking at front projection and the following projector, which weighs more than wed like.

One projector from the front.

NEC PA903X Projector with Lens NP30ZL

- Lumens: 9,000

- Resolution (Native): XGA (1024 x 768)

- Throw Ratio: 0.79-1.03:1

Looking at a projection distance of 198cm to 257cm

filling a screen width of 250 and height of 190

I could upto 4m away the image would be bigger but less bright, would that be a problem?

what size would the image be?

Im looking at projecting from a height of 3m, would this work?

thanks for your help Owen.

Have a look at this calculator; you'll need to select the appropriate lens.

With that size of screen, you'll have to be between approx 2 and 2.6m away. At 4m you'll be overspilling the screen which I guess is not what you want. Between 4.6 and 6m diagonal depending on zoom setting.

That projector has lens shift but whether 3m is too high rather depends on how high your screen is mounted.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the help

I cant find a something to calculate the distance

But ive been told between 285-367cm

To get a 2.7m high image by 3.6m width aspect ratio 4:3

What other options do people advised on the projector front as one poster said their 10k

projector got washed out, around the same weight or less to achieve the same image?

Sorry if I'm being rude but you seem to be floundering around a little here and not getting very far. There comes a time when you have to plonk some kit down in a room and try it out.

I think you should approach an AV rental supplier and explain what you are trying to do, they will then be able to suggest suitable equipment and hire you it for tests. Otherwise there is a high risk of spending $$$ and not getting what you need.

Sorry if I'm being rude but you seem to be floundering around a little here and not getting very far. There comes a time when you have to plonk some kit down in a room and try it out.

I think you should approach an AV rental supplier and explain what you are trying to do, they will then be able to suggest suitable equipment and hire you it for tests. Otherwise there is a high risk of spending $$$ and not getting what you need.

Excuse me but what do you think ive been doing?

And why do you think im spending the time to find out about what im seeking to buy I certainly dont want to buy

the wrong kit.

I am putting together a funding application to get this kit and this will be a major boost to our productions.

Most decent projector manufacturer's web sites will have throw calculators online and keyed to the machines/lenses.

Thanks but I couldnt find it on the NEC site

And the link I posted just above your message will do the maths for just about any projector ever made.

Thanks but I couldnt find the particular lens listed?

projectorcentral.com , the site that Shez linked to above, will give you data and a throw calculator for all major projector manufacturers. The big advantage compared to the manufacturer's own sites is that you can do direct comparisons "like for like".

To be honest, if it's for a funding application, I'd just throw some rough figures together and then work out the finer details if/when the money comes through.

projectorcentral.com , the site that Shez linked to above, will give you data and a throw calculator for all major projector manufacturers. The big advantage compared to the manufacturer's own sites is that you can do direct comparisons "like for like".

To be honest, if it's for a funding application, I'd just throw some rough figures together and then work out the finer details if/when the money comes through.

Hi stuart I checked again, but it doesnt have the particular lens I was looking at.

From experience funding applications require very detailed figures.

Hi stuart I checked again, but it doesnt have the particular lens I was looking at.

There are eight lenses listed for that projector; the one you mentioned is number five in that list.

Archived