DuPont Connectors - What's the generic term?

DanSteely

Hi,

So called DuPont connectors, as used on Arduino's and other micro controllers - What is the generic name for these type of connectors?

I'm looking to source the bare connectors (M&F) from the likes of CPC, Rapid, RS, etc.

Many thanks in advance.

I tend to get mine on eBay by searching for dupont. They're a really common connector in Chinese products, but harder to get here.

The downside to buying on eBay is that the quality is an unknown variable, so not great for professional equipment.

I've also found it tricky finding the perfect crimp tool for use with them.

Having you tried searching on the main electronic suppliers sites for 0.1" pitch multipole connectors or PCB interconnects?

Many thanks guys.

I've ordered a 'DuPont' kit and crimper from BangGood and will assess its quality when it arrives from China and report back.

With your help I've located them on CPC so can source them locally if I need them quickly.

BTW: I've never quite understood why propriety crimp tools so damn expensive - small market potential I guess. The last time I was making an audio multicore I looked at Veam's but was put off by the crimper price.

Thanks

They aren't jst, jst have a housing all the way round with a latch mechanism. On the arduino pcb it's just 0.1" pin header. Pretty much any 0.1" connector will mate with it.

Rapid sell a crimp tool for the push in terminal crimps in the molex-type connectors for £25.

On that note on Arduino Uno, I've found the pair of 0.1" SIL headers on the RHS of the unit (the digital I/Os, 0-7, 8-13) aren't on a 0.1" vertical spacing, which is a real pain when wanting to build a larger shield on Vero or Eurocard. It's the top one (8-13) that is off the 0.1" pitch vertically. You can kind-of force it in, but it's not ideal. The pair to the left are on a 0.1" vertical spacing and the left/right pairs are also a 0.1" multiple. So it's annoying that the right hand pair aren't. I've tried on Uno's from different suppliers, but they are all the same because I guess they're using the same open source PCB layout.

Kevin

Archived