Electronic Design Software Recomendations

DanSteely

Hi All,

Over the last couple of years I have been getting back into electronics and am looking at different types of software.

My recent work has included op amps, power amplifiers, Arduino, 555s, CMOS logic, etc

Can I please have your recommendations for free to use electronic design software.

At its most basic I need to draw fairly simple circuits.

At the higher end of things, it would be nice to have some simple simulation capability e.g. virtual probing for voltages and current readings.

So the wish list looks like this (In no particular order):

1. Offline if at all possible (so SW I can install locally) NB: The more I thinks about this point, the more I realise that when I use the SW I will always be online.

2. Free to download and use

3. Library of common (hobby type) components

4. Simulation capability

5. Capability of drafting circuits onto Vero type board

Any thoughts and suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers

So you don't want to design PCB's then, this is just for drawing schematics? Most software is aimed at making PCB's.

There's a lot of online tools - google "Schematic drawing software" and you'll get a good list

RS do Designspark PCB which is some spinoff of EasyPC

https://www.rs-online.com/designspark/pcb-software

Farnell do Eagle, there's a free version but it is pretty limited.

I have been using KiCAD for a few years now for schematic capture. Once you learn most of the shortcuts, it can be really quick at drawing up schematics.There is also an ability to export your design into a SPICE engine to simulate it. Click here for guide. Also, it's all free!

As for component libraries, it is pretty stocked up. Although creating your own can be very quick too.

+1 for Kicad for schematic capture - I used to use Eagle, but find Kicad less quirky and limiting. I also find it easier to come back to after a long absence.

I haven't used Veecad for stripboard layouts (I normally get a PCB made in China these days), but I'm going to have to give it a try - it looks like a very promising package.

If you just want to do designs and simulation for analogue circuits then LTSpice is the one to go for.

For PCB layout I have used EasyPC for more years than I care to remember. It's not free but is very cheap compared to most professional PCB layout software and will do everything you need. As Tim mentioned Design Spark is also from Number One and is very similar to EasyPC, but unfortunately the files are not interchangeable. Also Design Spark is an on-line tool so not usable without an internet connection and your designs may be accessible by others so not appropriate to work where NDAs are needed.

In general there is a split between circuit simulation tools and circuit layout tools, despite the fact that both start with entering a schematic diagram. This is I think partly historical, and partly because you don't want to worry about questions like footprints and multiple package options when you are entering a schematic for simulation, but need them to do layout. The nearest I have seen the commercial big boys come is exporting the schematic from layout tools towards simulation - but you still have to faff around building the layout-grade schematic first, and so at work we don't bother, seeing as we generally use simulation on small parts of designs early in the design process.

I would second LTSpice for analogue simulation. The tool I have been using for home projects targeting strip-board is Fritzing. The unusual thing about it is that you can go from schematic to target various sorts of soldered prototype board and also soldered "breadboard"s, as well as PCB (but I have never used the PCB tools). It is unashamedly targeted at the hobby market which means the library is heavy on things you can buy from that sort of supplier, and light on more obscure parts (but the generic IC packages are all there, which is enough for most projects).

If you just want to do designs and simulation for analogue circuits then LTSpice is the one to go for.

For PCB layout I have used EasyPC for more years than I care to remember. It's not free but is very cheap compared to most professional PCB layout software and will do everything you need. As Tim mentioned Design Spark is also from Number One and is very similar to EasyPC, but unfortunately the files are not interchangeable. Also Design Spark is an on-line tool so not usable without an internet connection and your designs may be accessible by others so not appropriate to work where NDAs are needed.

Is Design Spark really for online use now? I moved over to EasyPC from DS a while ago but the only reason DS needed an internet connection was to use their online libraries, which was optional. The non interchangeability of files is indeed a pain, given that they're from the same stable and frankly I think Number One are missing an opportunity. I also have issues with the way their update path works but that is another matter.

Online only, but I’ve been using easy eda for a load of projects recently and really like it. I’ve only used the pcb side though, but it does have a schematic side too (no idea if it does simulation though, am away for a few days and just on my phone so can’t check). Tinkercad have also recently added a circuit design tool but again I’ve never looked at it, I’ve just seen the mail shot saying it’s arrived.

Archived