4 week turnaround for under warranty TOA Mixer Amp Repair

Bazz339

Seems like a long turnaround to me for what is a relatively simple piece of kit, do others think that is unreasonable? I was expecting TOA to take a few days.I removed it from site on the 27th Feb and returned it overnight to CPC who sent it off on the 1st March, presumably to TOA so not much avoidable delay there. When I enquired when I was likely to get it back CPC quoted 4 weeks which I presume hey got from TOA. I don't consider that an acceptable time to leave my client without their PA system. Fortunately I have been able to bring their old amplifier back into play but that does leave them without some of the facilities. Unfortunately I do not have an identical amp available to loan.

Could just be a standard time quote for anything repair wise - it's a tactic many use, so that when it does come back to you earlier than promised, you're actually feeling more grateful and appreciative of a better than guaranteed service.

Even my local Chinese does the same in a way - ring up for a delivery, they quote anywhere from 45 to 60 minutes for it to arrive, but it's seldom more than 20 in most cases.

This is just one of the negatives in dealing direct with firms who are essentially box shifters. Local firms all had service departs to fund out of their sales, and this has simply been forgotten. That said, the change to the law that offered more rights was very quietly sneaked in, trumpeting the positives. Your contract was with the retailer. It was their responsibility to get it fixed. You did not have to deal with the manufacturer. Now you do, and they are not consumer friendly, and have relatively small service departments for the quantity of boxes they shift. Postage delays contribute so much too. From the end client to the repair facility is now through three steps. A month is nderstandable.

Cost of doing business, I guess?

I guess so but one I don't find acceptable as an installer, I expect a reasonable turnaround time in the event of a problem and that influences what I purchase. Most things I have on the shelf and can loan as spares such as mixers, power amps, mics, radio mics even a high power induction loop amp, but not a mixer amplifier, partly because I have never had one fail and I have used a couple of different models over the years. I use TOA because I consider them to a well made reliable product.

Could just be a standard time quote for anything repair wise - it's a tactic many use, so that when it does come back to you earlier than promised, you're actually feeling more grateful and appreciative of a better than guaranteed service.

I hope that may be the case.

This is just one of the negatives in dealing direct with firms who are essentially box shifters. Local firms all had service departs to fund out of their sales, and this has simply been forgotten. That said, the change to the law that offered more rights was very quietly sneaked in, trumpeting the positives. Your contract was with the retailer. It was their responsibility to get it fixed. You did not have to deal with the manufacturer. Now you do, and they are not consumer friendly, and have relatively small service departments for the quantity of boxes they shift. Postage delays contribute so much too. From the end client to the repair facility is now through three steps. A month is nderstandable.

I am not sure that consumer law has changed that much with regard to b2b sales which is what this is. Modern electronics from established manufacturers are generally pretty reliable which has probably led to smaller service departments. I don't consider a month turnaround reasonable when it was returned and received within 24 hours by CPC and dispatched by them next day and probably received by TOA (Presumably) next working day.

We have a similar fight running with warranty repair on our washing machine which is also clocking up the days faulty on the 7/3 engineer came on 14th not carrying the necessary control boards. Repair likely to effected on the 26th.

• 2 weeks later...

Update

The amplifier was returned to me repaired from CPC on the 28th of this month which means TOA sent it back to them on the 26th or even the 24th so within the 4 weeks. No information given as to nature or fault.

Washing machine was eventually repaired on the 29th.

Update

The amplifier was returned to me repaired from CPC on the 28th of this month which means TOA sent it back to them on the 26th or even the 24th so within the 4 weeks. No information given as to nature or fault.

Washing machine was eventually repaired on the 29th.

Archived