D Class amplifiers (on a budget)?

BigYinUK

I'm going to look for a secondhand EPQ2000. If I find one at the right price, I'll swap out the EVQ1212 - it is a lovely amp but is soooo heavy.

Thanks Jon, that was a good prompt to me, and I've just picked up a £140 EQP200 from ebay to replace an ancient monitor amp that's become unreliable.

I've got a couple of the older still EP2500s sitting in an installation doing regular service. Flawless so far, and I've had one for around 15 years, I think. Not that light, though.

So, I’m getting ready to duck and cover..... I’ve used a lot of amps over the years and swear by QSC amps. A friend “in the know” told me to look at the Maplin 1500w class ‘D’ amp. A venue I work with bought two. I went along already thinking the worse but they happened to sound okay. They’ve now been running them 2 years without issue.

So much so.... I might.... have happened to buy two as “spare” amps. I used them a couple of times (okay... a few times) and run them very hard. No issues. Actually... one issue. If you send it solid clip for a second or so... the amp will go into protect. Much better than some QSC’s I’ve used.

Said friend uses them for radio broadcast and bought a few. Not had a problem.

With Maplins seemingly on the way out you might find a bargain. I’ll be looking out for a couple more.

Ant.

I bought a Maplin amp a while back on the same basis(it was on one of their deep discount offers so I thought, why not, almost disposable). Only problem I have is that the fans are very loud and run all the time; they don't appear to be temperature controlled. It's on the list of things to look at when I get a round tuit

My experience with my Thomann TSA4-700 has been completely positive. It's in an unpadded 2u rack sleeve and has been bumped in and out of cars for four years. It's never missed a beat, and whilst mainly used for driving wedges, it has occasionally been thrashed to within a dB of it's life and always remained cool.

Would definitely have another and am thinking of getting the 1300W version for subs and mains. Trust this helps.

I too have a Thomann TSA4-700 this mainly drives wedges but on occasion FOH depending on how the cabinets on the rig are configured, it has been a real workhorse for the last few years.

I have two of the 1050 T-amps as well, one of which failed on one channel a month before 3 year warranty expired, repaired within a week with no quibble. These are now 9 years old and going strong.

I find this a difficult one to call. I've gone down the road of the Thomann and Behringer amps, and I've had some problems with them. But they are very cheap. I couldn't afford brand name amplifiers. And I know plenty of people who've had problems with brand name amps too.

At least with a new cheap amp you have a lengthy warranty. I tend to make sure I carry a spare now. Two of these sorts of amps is still much cheaper than a quality amp.

Archived