Microphones for a MUN conference

fergus-robertson

I'm running sound for a model united nations conference at my school next year. This year we used SM57s, an SM58 and a couple of handheld Sennheiser radio mics because these were are the only mics my school owns other than lapel mics (which don't work for my purpose). This time, however, I've got a budget (not quite sure how big it'll be yet ) and was wondering what microphones people would suggest I use. I need people sitting at a table to be able to talk and also I need to mic a lecturn (no it doesn't already have an XLR connector built in). I don't know if people would suggest two different types of microphones for this or if I can bulk buy some of the same. I've looked into gooseneck mics, but I want to check here before I make any proposals to the conference manager.

"What you have is always cheapest" but other than that hire a case of conference mics -wired- and have enough mixer channels.

I'd quite like to have a more permanent solution, I'll have a look at it though. Mixer channels aren't a problem as we recently bought a new Allen & Heath Qu32.

First question - what was wrong with the kit you were using? I've done election hustings events using SM57's to great effect. If it's not broke and all that....

Also if this is something that is done once a year then I would be hiring the kit rather than buying. Waste of money buying something for it to be sat in a cupboard 364 days of the year. If you must buy I would still say hire some conference mics first and see how they perform before buying them.

As far as lectern mics go, the AKG C747 is a great mic.

The V2 is, the V1 not so much, as it suffers interference from mobile phones.

As far as the table micing goes, you could do a lot worse than the SM57s you already have, on table top stands. I've done many a meeting like that, including larger meetings with people on all 4 sides of the table arrangement, with 20 x SM57s / 58s. Each side routed to its own group and an eagle eye & ear to give a nudge on the sub master as required... no feedback whatsoever. Sometimes the most basic way gets the job done fine.

If you want to neaten up the tabletop, and save the cost of lots of table stands, a length of 50x50mm minitrunking with mic clips fixed in with adapter nuts, or XLR sockets and goosenecks can be used. Also works for quiz buttons for Universally Challenged type events. Mic clips only about £5 each. Paint or vinyl-wrap the trunking with venue logos.

You've already got the automixing mic which is a big cost of a conference system.

If SM57s are what you use and they're useful for other events, and you've got the mixer channels, just buy some more of them

Agreed, we use those on lecterns with AKG C391B's for panel discussions. Both great mics and do an amazing job, but given the OP is in a school I thought the budgets may not stretch to that!

• 2 weeks later...

Never really liked them as far too many bits to assemble/use, however they are a good mic and an industry standard.

I preferred the Audio Technica AT935QMRx/ML stick a mic clip on something and the mic in it, however they are really only are primarily of use in the table top/lectern scenario, although I have used them on mic stands for non close mic situations eg. in front of a singer at a distance for discrete mic-ing of a singer at a funeral and for ambient mics for audio relay. They are still quite pricey. It may well be worth putting a case for purchasing some for lectern or table top use.

I used a couple of these on a recent church install which seem OK for speech and are reasonably priced.

As others have said hiring or making do with other types of mics that have more general use might be a better bet.

I used a couple of <a href='http://cpc.farnell.com/jts/gm-5212/microphone-gooseneck-condenser/dp/MP33740' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>these</a> on a recent church install which seem OK for speech and are reasonably priced.

I have used them and yes they are ok but... but I'll say these are better, albeit 3 times the price.

Archived