LD INTERVIEWEES NEEDED for Dissertation Research!

Dear All Lighting Designers

I am a third-year Technical Theatre Student at Derby University currently in the process of completing my dissertation, for which your input would be greatly valued and most appreciated.

The topic I have chosen to study is lighting design and its psychological impacts, resulting in the following title of the study...

"How does lighting psychologically affect audience perception in a traditional theatre space compared to an immersive one?

"

This study aims to uncover the impacts lighting has on audience members across both traditional and immersive theatrical environments, showing and proving how each technical discipline within lighting plays a crucial part in enhancing an audience members experience. The overall aim being, to provide more and new upcoming lighting designers with the knowledge that can be used to create more complex and mentally moving works of art.

If you are a lighting designer and are interested in making a difference to your industry and/or would like to be a part of bringing in the next generation of designers, I'd be really grateful if I could have an opportunity to arrange a short interview over the phone to get some important information on my chosen topic.

If you could spare some time to be part of this project, please let me know on this post or preferably via email - mytsaaron@live.co.uk

Again, your time would be greatly appreciated!

Any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

Kind Regards

Aaron Mace

Given your question, surely you need to talk to the audiences?

I'd suggest a revision of your question if you plan to engage with the makers rather than the consumers. It also looks like there is quite a lot to this question and stated topic that would benefit from more focus. :-)

And easier to measure.

Maybe he is asking audience members and just wants to get views/opinions from both sides?

Maybe. However, there are a few things in the proposal and question that suggest potential difficulties for the Dissertation.

Firstly, any UG research work of this kind that targets "audiences" requires methods and sample sizes that are nearly always substituted for a few random audience anecdotes or the authors personal opinion.

The word "enhance" is always troublesome to measure and analyse without a really tight definition.

In this kind of proposal, there is a risk of trying to prove huge generalisations (often preconceptions of the researcher) with a few example shows and personal anecdotes from both audiences and makers.

As this kind of research is am ideal way for a student to engage with practice and professionals, I would make it about that and ignore the idea of audiences as being the key part of the question. Then interviewing LDs makes much more sense.

Given the stated question, I'm not convinced that stuffing in a few interview results from LDs would add a great deal other than to find out if the LD was aware / deliberate in their use of psych and the relationship to the study's audience results. There will be results, right?

Too often, this fallacy of adding in a few bits and bobs, that are only loosely related to the main thrust of the Diss, reads as filler in an otherwise weak and loosely targeted study. Don't be that guy, as they say.

Talk to LDs, great. Just focus the study to make it stronger and those sources more worthwhile.

I know that it's not my circus, but I have supervised and marked enough UG Dissertations that it sets my radar off.

:-)

Compared with many we see, this is stimulating interest rather than the usual head slapping we get.

I was quite interested in some of the wording

The overall aim being, to provide more and new upcoming lighting designers with the knowledge that can be used to create more complex and mentally moving works of art.

I'd never considered lighting as being a work of art? Interesting.

If you are a lighting designer and are interested in making a difference to your industry

I'm nor sure if this aim is not something a bit hopeful?

I'd never considered lighting as being a work of art? Interesting.

You obviously didn't go to Tate Modern when this was in the Turbine Hall...

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_4ZdDS3ZFLo8/TUTRterC6bI/AAAAAAAAAVI/jtHQeL6M_Lg/s1600/OlafurEliasson_TheWeatherProject%2Bsmall.jpg

post-207-0-17291600-1520249626_thumb.jpg

I don't think I've ever had an emotional response from any lighting - apart from the occasional mega music event where the sheer quantity of light made me go wow! It's never happened in theatre yet. I've seen some very clever stuff over the years, but the best I've been is impressed. Sound design and lighting design don't tick my 'art' box - craft probably. Set design has, I think - but I'm not totally sure?

Thank you for all your feedback but would anyone be interested in taking up a short interview? I am happy to use this as an opportunity to explain why your input as Lighting Designers would be important and answer any queries you may have towards the study directly from over the phone.

Archived