Cable tracing tools

TomHoward

I've got a job where I'm trying to find a rogue Cat5, there's five ends at a projector, four of them on stage but one unaccounted for which I'm hoping goes back to a rack.

I've got one of those tone tracers, a piece of BT equipment I think - but the environment is pretty noisy so it's quite hard to hear what's going on.

I've tried shorting the ends and metering out on the rack to find continuity but no luck there either...

Is there anything more up to date available now for this kind of job? That could give any kind of help?

I've got a job where I'm trying to find a rogue Cat5, there's five ends at a projector, four of them on stage but one unaccounted for which I'm hoping goes back to a rack.

I've got one of those tone tracers, a piece of BT equipment I think - but the environment is pretty noisy so it's quite hard to hear what's going on.

I've tried shorting the ends and metering out on the rack to find continuity but no luck there either...

Is there anything more up to date available now for this kind of job? That could give any kind of help?

Tone and probe is probably your best bet. Some tracers have a 3.5mm jack socket so you can use headphones in noisy environments.

If the cat 5 is connected to a switch, some testers will flash the switch port light which might help find it.

I don't think it's patched - there's an unterminated CAT5 at the projector, which might go back to a rack and be terminated or not.

Weird thing is if I stick the tone on it, I get a really strong signal from another line, but not the right one as that meters out both ends as it's labelled.

Waiting to hear back from the installer in case they remember anything weird - the building's less than a year old, just the install's a mess.

Archived