HDBaseT

Craig Carver

Anyone using this regularly?

Im having a few problems with it on a daily basis.

We discovered that using Cat5e cable it is susceptible to image drop whilst we are using 2 way radio’s. This made us run some tests and in which we discovered alot of our problems are down to RF interference, caused by various means (power cables running close, wireless devises, 2 way radios).

We swopped to Cat6e which is shielded and should handle noise better but no joy!!

We are using Blustream 4 way HDBaseT spiltter direct in to HDBaseT inputs on a Panasonic DZ 780 projector

Losing faith now in the technology.

Anyone got experience or advice to offer.

Thanks

Craig

What distance are you running at? We've found that you need to overspec a lot on distance - we use a lot of Extron DTP converters and had to swap out the 70m version with the 100m just to do short runs.

Also have you tried a different manufacturers converter? I'd be tempted to see what a Kramer converter does - the problem might lie with your Bluestream device rather than the cable run?

Shielded cable can be just as 'problematic' as non-shielded (just a different set of problems!).

The location of your Radio basestations (in relation to cables and HDBT hardware) can be quite important too.

We would tend to spec/supply our HD or UHD over Lan solutions for most large systems.

Joe

we've had issues with breakers tripping when radios are used near by.

Our electrician says it's because the radios are "cheap junk"

It makes you wonder how well engineered the breakers are. I've seen MCBs selling for as little as £1.50 a time, for instance, something has got to give at that kind of price. Whilst I appreciate that they won't compromise on the safety-critical aspects of the design, there may be other parts that are "value engineered" a bit too heavily.

• 2 months later...

we've had issues with breakers tripping when radios are used near by.

Our electrician says it's because the radios are "cheap junk"

It makes you wonder how well engineered the breakers are. I've seen MCBs selling for as little as £1.50 a time, for instance, something has got to give at that kind of price. Whilst I appreciate that they won't compromise on the safety-critical aspects of the design, there may be other parts that are "value engineered" a bit too heavily.

Maybe his breakers are the "cheap junk"! Interesting with the SDI cables close to HDBaseT - I have found the boxes for HDBaseT can get very hot but have never had issues with the signal to date touch wood.

I agree. HDBT chips in the cheaper kit are horribly hot and we're having a great time swapping them out for units with better designed cooling.

I still really like it though as a good P2P solution though which doesn't need as much thought as an IP based system.

Josh

Archived