Digital Radio Mics

fincaman

Hello all, I have some G3s and a D1835S 2.4 ghz Sennheiser hand held radio mics the performance of both is great. I need two more and am torn between the two and as the D1835S are less expensive I was thinking of buying them' are there any disadvantages of using the 2.4ghz band ?

The biggest drawback with 2.4GHz is that lots of other stuff uses the same band, including an audiences-worth of mobile phones and hotspots.

Unlike many network-oriented tasks, radio mics are time critical. They can't just wait for a moment if there's interference from elsewhere. I've no direct experience of the Sennheiser model but I'd be very surprised if it wasn't decent. My concern would be more that it would knock out other services and make you unpopular.

There's not *that* much difference in price between the two so I'd be tempted to see the G3 as a safer purchase. Sennheiser obviously see a market for something in 2.4GHz band, or they wouldn't have put the R&D time into coming up with this, ut if you're touring into largely unknown venues with multiple systems then I'd be really surprised if you didn't come across a problem at some point.

MY biggest worry with 2.4GHz kit is the difference between the rehearsal wireless spectrum use and the show channel use with all the added bodies to absorb RF and personal wifi to transmit what to you will be jamming clutter, OR that your high power network will disable other essential wifi use in the venue.

OR that your high power network will disable other essential wifi use in the venue.

I've come across that at least twice. At a corporate gig, the audience response system couldn't work alongside some Line6 2.4GHz systems. We got the call to rush down some G3 to them. Another time, the house lights were on 2.4GHz and couldn't be controlled whilst transmitters were on.

In both cases it might have been possible to find a way around the problem, but the timescales and other pressures were such that it was easier to swap. And it seems that radio mics are often perceived as being the "bad guys" in this kind of situation.

I've also had unannounced guitar wireless packs knock out the iPad remote for my mixer. Easily rectified (by making them use a cable) but took a moment or two's head scratching until I spotted it.

Older Line 6 ensured RF continuity by killing everything else off.

They changed this after it became apparent that many simply wouldn't use them with such a feature in place.

The Sennheiser D1 is pretty well behaved and switches between available channels in the 2.4GHz band. As the rep suggests, it works brilliantly right up to the point where it doesn't work anymore.

I suspect that given the choice, I'd be considering 1.8GHz systems...

I think someone posted it on here.

Yup - I think my post elicited zero replies! http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.gif

It's a rather unexciting product launch, I think that may be why!

One of the major new features on the IEM packs is heralded thus:

"Improved, easier and faster wireless synchronization between transmitter and receiver via new infrared backlit IR area that makes it more obvious where to hold the components for fast sync"

I can't help thinking that a label showing where the IR area is would have done the job admirably well.

Cheers,

Peter

I was chatting with someone yesterday. We both own quantities of G3 and were struggling to think of a standout feature with G4, despite having both read the blurbs when it was announced.

There were some genuine improvements when they went from G2 to G3 - battery indicators on the receivers, and the ability to disable mute buttons were two that sprung to mind. I can't think of any comparable developments with G4.

Someone had said that the revision was primarily triggered by the impending non availability of certain components in the G3 design, so a new unit was the way forward.

I cannot substantiate that, but it sounds plausible given the limited extent of the refresh....

So basically the G3s are illegal !!!

Not at all! Hand helds are switchable betweeen 10mW (low power) and 30mW (high power) so they're capable of being used legally (or at least the skm300 manual that I'm looking at right now says that anyway). Whether the user decides to use them legally is another matter entirely.... I've got a 50W VHF transmitter sat on my desk here. We're licensed for 5W at the antenna. Ultimately it's our responsibility as the license holder to ensure the thing is set up correctly and not breaching our license terms.

Archived