BBC in-vision mic, 70's/80's

KevinE

Defo an AKG 451 but I think the short ext tube was the VR1 and the VR2 the longer one.

A modular mic system with cardioid and omni capsules CK1+2 with a third that was the cardioid fitted fixed within the mesh windscreen CK6, there was also a long CK9 shotgun too.

They were available in silver and black over the 70's and 80's and we used them a lot at Tyne Tees TV. The later ones had a high pass filter and -10db pad fitted in the mic amp end but still used the CK1 etc capsules.

You could also get knuckle joints to angle the capsules and an in line screw in -10db pad.

I suspect the ones used on vocals in the 70's were the omni capsules or cardioid with -10db pads fitted.

They were replaced by the AKG 460 ser and Calrec had a copy modular system that was larger with the 2010 and 2050 mics. They were looked after by the late Keith Ming and became Hebden Sound. You can still see the gold plated ones by the Queen at the state opening of Parliament.

Edited by GaryNattrass

Great sounding mics, but terrifyingly easy to cross thread the capsules when attaching them to the body. Superseded by the 'Blue Line' system, which I seem to recall did have extension tubes available and a much more robust bayonet fitting system for the capsules, but never seemed to quite capture the market in the same way.
  • Upvote 1

I bought 100 Chinese copies - they'd copied everything - INCLUDING - the micro-thread, and these could be cross threaded exactly the same way. I've still kept a dozen, sold the rest and everybody was pretty impressed - not one fault in three years and lots of people bought more. They'd not used the same tube - the AKG was, I think plated brass - and these were an alloy and much lighter, but the omni capsules were really good. With the hyper capsules they were really good on table stands for conference top tables. Then suddenly, the factory abandoned production. They will make me a new batch, if I buy 500!

My Takstar Cm60 and 61 mics are very similar but if you want the real deal they are still available: https://www.anderton...ASABEgIPmvD_BwE

Great mic on acoustic instruments and I used to have two but sadly they got stolen.

On offer as a pair here: https://www.gear4mus...AiABEgLryfD_BwE

and yes the CK1 and CK2 had a slip on metal pop shield which is what you see on TOTP but then they did the CK5 integrated capsule with the pop shield later.

Edited by GaryNattrass

• 4 years later...