DMX splitters

handyandi

I am looking at installing another DMX splitter in my system, anyone have any experience of using these (other than the inability of the manufacturer to get the XLR sockets square).

Currently have the older Thomann version elsewhere in the system (similar to QTX brand) but these are cheaper (even more so if sourced from china).

I purchased one of these after seeing Clives teardown, open it and re-glue the board in place, it will need it!!

I mentioned to a colleague I had procured one and he promptly showed me his which he has managed to fit 2 12V supplies inside, I plan to do  the same.

The psu died on ours after a year or so. Fortunately it's a common enough one that we had another one elsewhere in the building that we could steal.

That was probably a good move anyway. I tend to recommend avoiding unknown PSUs from China.

Get a Powerpax or other UK branded and tested unit from Rapid or CPC. If you get a really generously sized one it will also run stone cold which is a bonus in terms of longevity.

The psu died on ours after a year or so. Fortunately it's a common enough one that we had another one elsewhere in the building that we could steal.
That was probably a good move anyway.  I tend to recommend avoiding unknown PSUs from China.Get a Powerpax or other UK branded and tested unit from Rapid or CPC.  If you get a really generously sized one it will also run stone cold which is a bonus in terms of longevity.

I was lucky as mine came without psu, just a plug on a short length [300mm ish] of white flex but that's what I expected for £12.

Thanks again. I have ordered one from a Chinese supplier & as it was the cheapest comes with only a DC plug to bare ends so will order a decent branded 12v PSU from CPC as suggested. It will be wall mounted so the board should be ok, but will open it up & take a look once it arrives in a few weeks time.

That was probably a good move anyway. I tend to recommend avoiding unknown PSUs from China.

Get a Powerpax or other UK branded and tested unit from Rapid or CPC. If you get a really generously sized one it will also run stone cold which is a bonus in terms of longevity.

Thanks for the great youtube video Clive. What size would suffice 500Ma or 1A? I presume its current draw is negligible.

Archived