Dynacord D-Lite Speaker change

NostromoUK

Hi,

I've got a passive Dynacord D-Lite 12-3 with a blown bass driver.

Thinking that changing out the blown driver would be easy I sent off for a replacement bass driver.

I have spent all day trying to split the plastic enclosure so as to access and change the driver but try as I might I just cannot open it up ? . . so frustrating !

I've removed all the screws that appear to fix the front to the back of the enclosure together, but with all of these removed its still solidly together ?

Does anyone have any experience of splitting these dynacord d-lite plastic enclosures so as to get access to the drivers ??

Any advice on how to achieve it would be very very much appreciated ?

I've also trawled the internet looking for helpful info but can't find anything.

Cheers,

Nostromo

Further to my initial post . . .

I've discovered through further on-line searches that the plastic enclosure that the Dynacord D12-3 uses appears remarkably similar (in fact almost identical I'd say) to the enclosure used by the Electro Voice SX300. Certainly the basic plastic moulding design of the enclosures for these two types of speaker is the same.

This being the case, I have found several YouTube videos of the EV enclosure being taken apart, and, its fairly obvious from these videos, that, for the EV variant, the bass driver is accessed and removed by detaching the front grill and pulling the driver forward, rather than pulling it out the back having taken the speaker enclosure apart . . . so I'm now thinking I probably don't need to split the enclosure to get at the bass driver out of my Dynacord.

But, I'm still stuck, the EV has a simple perforated steel grill over the bass driver which can be easily unscrewed and removed . . . my Dynacord on the other hand has a foam cover with moulded plastic edging/surround all the way round, and, there are no screws visible and no other visible clues on how the front grill could be removed ? . .

So, I could still do with some advice if anyone knows how to remove the front grill on a Dynacord D12-3 so the bass driver can be removed/replaced ??

Many thanks in anticipation of some advice !

Nostromo

It might be like the grille on an HK sub: these have a sheet of perforated metal which is covered with foam. The foam is wrapped around the sides of the metal about half an inch and then stuck in place. This is fitted into a pair of grooves down the sides of the cabinet. It is held in place by being sprung into the grooves then a screw is fitted at the top and bottom centre for added security. These are covered by the foam so you have to peel back the foam to remove the 2 screws then gently pull the centre of the grille outwards with a pair of pointed pliers so that it becomes more curved and it pops out of the grooves at the sides. Very long winded way of describing something which takes a few seconds to do!

Further to my initial post . . .

I've discovered through further on-line searches that the plastic enclosure that the Dynacord D12-3 uses appears remarkably similar (in fact almost identical I'd say) to the enclosure used by the Electro Voice SX300. Certainly the basic plastic moulding design of the enclosures for these two types of speaker is the same.

This being the case, I have found several YouTube videos of the EV enclosure being taken apart, and, its fairly obvious from these videos, that, for the EV variant, the bass driver is accessed and removed by detaching the front grill and pulling the driver forward, rather than pulling it out the back having taken the speaker enclosure apart . . . so I'm now thinking I probably don't need to split the enclosure to get at the bass driver out of my Dynacord.

But, I'm still stuck, the EV has a simple perforated steel grill over the bass driver which can be easily unscrewed and removed . . . my Dynacord on the other hand has a foam cover with moulded plastic edging/surround all the way round, and, there are no screws visible and no other visible clues on how the front grill could be removed ? . .

So, I could still do with some advice if anyone knows how to remove the front grill on a Dynacord D12-3 so the bass driver can be removed/replaced ??

Many thanks in anticipation of some advice !

Nostromo

This picture makes it look like there are screws holding the grille to the box, perhaps under the foam - might it be worth checking if there's any way of peeling back the foam at the relevant locations to get at said screws?

dynacord_d-lite-d-12-3__1_p.JPG

Archived