Vari-Lite VL1000AS

danielteiiley2728

Hi Blueroomers

I am looking at swapping out our Martin Mac 500's as Spare parts for these are getting increasingly hard to source.

Are spare parts for the Veri-lite LV1000AS readily available in your experience?

I have looked at google and found a European supplier. Dose anyone no of a UK supplier?

Thanks in advance.

Moderation: Topic title has been corrected.

Spares aren't necessarily much better for the VL1000. At least they are still making lamps for the AS version.

They're very different fixtures, the VL1000 is a theatrical mover with shutters and zoom and theatrical style gobos. The Mac500 is ostensibly a disco/live event fixture. The VL1000 is a larger fixture to accommodate the extra features.

If you go to ebay and enter "mac 500" you can find 15 complete mac 500's, 4 motherboards, prism units, plastics, magnets, control panel, control panel overlay, flightcases, gobo sets, module clips, gobo clips, rubber seals, dichroics, hall sensors, reflector.

Do the same thing with "VL1000" and you get Lamps. And parts for the Honda Varadero motorcycle. Nothing manufactured by Varilite!

The thing was that loads of companies, from rock and roll to corporate, had Mac 500's. There were thousands of them in use. Not that many companies had the VL1k, so if you are having issues finding Mac 500 parts, you will really struggle trying to find parts for the VL1k.

If it was my money I'd be looking at either newer, lower end products, which would cost more but give you less worry regarding parts and servicing, or mac 700 / Robe 600e / Robe Pointe era products. If you want varilites, then the 2k series were more prevalent.

Would strongly recommend the Mac 2K over a VL1000 if you're looking to reduce your parts usage - I've personally always found the Mac 2Ks to be pretty solid, VL1000s on the other hand frequently seen touring with a very large set of spares....

Archived