Mac 550 HTER

Richard CSL

So I have recently worked on a mac 550. It throws up HTER during start up,

I have changed out the transistor thermal sensor, checked the eletrical thermal sensor, metered the sensor wiring, swopped out the main board, the fixture actually works so it has gone back up, but does anybody have any thoughts?

I also swopped out the main module to no change.

I've got a vague memory that if a lamp fails to strike, or the controller thinks that it has failed to strike, it assumes that the lamp was too hot and gives you that error. Might well be a complete fabrication of my imagination though!

there is no over heating as this is happening at initialization. As soon as the fixture has finished initialization the HTER is still there but the fixture runs ok.

DMX can be set, test sequence runs ok, but if MAN RST is run it still throws up the HTER message.

• 3 weeks later...
I did not try swopping the lamp as the lamp and holder looked ok. Plus the lamp was striking normally. So does the ballast generate the HTER error if too much current is pulled. No hang on this comes on the display before the lamp is struck at the end of initialization.

I think DrV is right in the 2nd post, if the lamp optical sensor has failed then you get HTER also. (That's a photodiode which is supposed to detect whether the lamp has struck or not. If it hasn't then it disables the lamp to protect the ignitor. But if it thinks the lamp is lit before it's been struck it assumes the lamp relay has welded. Either way you get HTER. I'm not sure this applies to a Mac550 as I've only seen it on other Macs but it might well do)

I think DrV is right in the 2nd post, if the lamp optical sensor has failed then you get HTER also. (That's a photodiode which is supposed to detect whether the lamp has struck or not. If it hasn't then it disables the lamp to protect the ignitor. But if it thinks the lamp is lit before it's been struck it assumes the lamp relay has welded. Either way you get HTER. I'm not sure this applies to a Mac550 as I've only seen it on other Macs but it might well do)

It's been a while but I think you get ShEr (short error) if the relay contacts are welded shut. You can also get this from ambient light falling on the sensor in some fixtures if you are working on them with covers off and the workshop is brightly lit. By the way, the light sensor is actually a light to frequency sensor, not just a humble photodiode.

Dave

Archived