Moving Head orientation and rigging on Capture visualiser

Uriahdemon

Hi, I have recently changed my control desk, fixtures and visualiser over to upgraded gear. One of the constraints of my day job is that I have limited time to get my rig out in full and programme it as necessary.

In order to overcome this I have purchased a license for 'Capture' to programme on a visualiser as best I can. Are there any tip/observations/guidance out there to make sure I have these hung and top sat moving heads in the right position

to make sure the programming positions are as intended. For now I intend to use the moving heads (Chauvet Hybrid 140SR's) with the control panel facing the stage (outward) and cabling to the rear.

How do I know those positions are correct in Capture or any other visualiser please....??

How do I know those positions are correct in Capture or any other visualiser please....??

My experience of Capture is that most fixtures are oriented correctly but some aren't. So to be sure you need to get a real fixture out and compare it.

You need to be storing positions as palettes anyway (assuming your desk can do that) as the first job when you've programmed on a visualiser is to update the programmed positions to match real life.

If you look closely at the models in Capture there should be a rectangular box on one side of the base representing the display (along with a circle representing cables). So you should orient them using this but, as Tim says, unfortunately they are not always correct. Usually this relies on feedback/information from customers as manufacturer's rarely provide the necessary details.

Yes the base of the fixture in Capture will have a rectangle and a circle representing the screen and the cable entry respectively.

I did find when I did my first attempt at Capture last November that the model of the moving head wash I have was incorrect but a report to the Capture folks got a very quick response. They sent me a simple questionnaire with straightforward instructions on how to tell them which way round the fixture actually operates. You basically set the fixture on a work bench (making sure there are no inversions in the desk or the fixture) with the control panel towards you and pan/tilt set to 50/50 and then note down which way the head moves as you increase pan and as you increase tilt. Within 2 days of me emailing the answers back to them they had an updated fixture library on their website and it was perfect.

Uriahdemon is using a Zero88 FLX console which I've been supporting him with.

As Tim and Lee have said the best way of checking the orientation is to get a physical fixture out and compare it.

Remember on FLX you can just update Position Palettes or invert Pan/Tilt when you get to your venue if (and when) there are changes from your visualisation.

As Lee says Capture are very quick with their response so for specific Capture queries you can always send them an email.

Edward

Archived