DB Meter

Doug Siddons

My DB meter is now in the naughty corner after playing up over this weekends festival so was after some advice on a new one.

I use it at FOH for general noise levels so it doesn't need to be a very expensive one just more accurate than a phone app and will satisfy the noise police when they come round to check.

Looking for recomendations, hand held, a and c weighted, and ideally self calibrating..

I've just been looking at calibrated measurement mics.

I found two interesting types...

a) one that plug into a smartphone via a 3.5mm jack plug

b) USB ones

The appeal of the USB ones is that there is no source of error caused by an pre-amplification.

CPC do one for around £125 but, once it's calibrated, AudioTool & a Dayton plug-in mic gives you whatever weighting you want, plus a nice pretty RTA display to impress the noise police.

E2A: Tester do something similar at £65.

Phone apps can be as accurate as a "real" meter - with the right software and hardware. An iOS device running Studio Six Digital apps with an external mic is pretty good. I would get the Leq module as it's far more useful than Fast/Slow A/C readings alone...

Android devices vary so much in the way that audio is implemented and the maximum levels that can be handled, that I have yet to find one that is anywhere near the right ball park, let alone accurate.

Phone apps can be as accurate as a "real" meter - with the right software and hardware. An iOS device running Studio Six Digital apps with an external mic is pretty good. I would get the Leq module as it's far more useful than Fast/Slow A/C readings alone...

Android devices vary so much in the way that audio is implemented and the maximum levels that can be handled, that I have yet to find one that is anywhere near the right ball park, let alone accurate.

You can get the hardware that works with Studio Six Digital software from here...

Thanks for the replies and comments. I definitely didn't want a phone based system for this it wouldn't be convenient, or user friendly, in the environment I use it in, not to mention my apple-O-phobia.

My original one was a Tenma, and I wanted an equivalent one which met IEC61672-1 and I judged I wouldn't need data logging so have gone for the Tenma 1073 which ticks all my boxes.

Archived