Single DMX universe to artnet box

James Remo

• 2 years later...

I have to correct my comments above, as we are now using multiple SmartShow nodes and have no problems with them at all.

We have a mixture of NetDMX and airDMXout and they both work great with Luminair or QLab.

Using broadcast mode on the network you can use multiple nodes with either of these software - we're switching to Luminair for smaller events and trying out using wired products on the dimmers and wireless nodes up in the air which should really cut down running cable around the rooms.

The nodes are really keenly priced as well - currently under £50 for the airDMXout wireless artnet-DMX node.

Luminex Luminode 1 would be perfect for this.

It would even give you another Ethernet port on your PC, as well as being a swiss army knife of other converters. Artnet to sACN, DMX to sACN. Artnet/sACN to DMX.... etc etc.

It actually has two processing engines inside it.

What are the benefits of the two processing engines if the unit only has one DMX output? I get that it is "future proofing" for when DMX isn't required, but in that situation, plugging lights directly into a network removes the need for nodes entirely, so what would the process engines be required for exactly?

I also use smartshow devices and never had any problems with them. I have net buddy and it set to convert DMX to artnet and I have it inside a small 8 channel desk that I use to give me 8 more playbacks on a Chamsys desk and it works very well. I also have artnet to a relay box and artnet to DMX as well all from smart show. I have had them in broadcast and unicast modes and had no problem with them with my chansys desk.

I also have used and android app with one of dual artnet wifi devices via a wireless router and it was great as I have no real space for a lighting desk for a show we did about 2 weeks ago

What are the benefits of the two processing engines if the unit only has one DMX output? I get that it is "future proofing" for when DMX isn't required, but in that situation, plugging lights directly into a network removes the need for nodes entirely, so what would the process engines be required for exactly?

A good question.

You could be outputting DMX on the physical DMX port (which would use 1 engine), but you could also (for example) be converting Artnet to sACN on the second.

If and when it ever gets to the point where entire rigs are connected by Ethernet I think there will still be a place for products such as Luminodes. These boxes will be doing things like handling multiple data sources and offering really sophisticated merging and cross fading policies (as currently implemented). For example crossfading between Lighting console and media server for just a number of DMX channels within a universe. Of course, some lighting consoles can do this internally but a lot of them also can not, at least at this level of this of sophistication or ease of use.

Any one tried out the Smart Show items?

https://www.ebay.co....iAAAOSwMvtZPA4T

K

I have one and I have used it with a small DMX lighting desk as for extra play backs for my chamsys desk. It worked a treat. I am hopping to get another one in the next week or 2 as the one I have I put it inside the small desk and wired it to take the power from the desk as well. I have no problems with it .