Single DMX universe to artnet box

James Remo

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for a small, reliable single universe DMX to artnet unit. Basically I'm touring a pair of Resolume servers, and on an upcoming tour I'd like to have the option of DMX control rather than Artnet, due to some venues not having cat 5 lines in their FOH runs. Size is fundamental, the rig is already overflowing from the peli 1510 it lives in (hand luggage restrictions due to flights) Both servers receive the same control signals, as they are main and backup, so the converter needs to broadcast rather than unicast.

Ideally I would go with a Luminex DMX2 Truss, but it's too big and requires POE. But would match the artnet nodes I already own, and I do have the budget for it.

I've used the Enttec ODE, but it's still a bit big, POE or a big-ish wall wart. Didn't like the NMU config software.

Ive seen the Smart Show Net Buddy on ebay, but fly on Sunday and don't have the lead time as they are made to order, and look a little cheap. Can anyone vouch for their reliability?

ELC XLAN buddy looks like a good option, usb powered (already have a 5 way usb psu to power blackmagic HDMI to SDI convertors) but have had friends trash ELC nodes due to issues in the past, not experienced them myself. Doesn't look too rugged though

ELC XLAN 1 looks better made, but again requires POE.

Can upgrade my network switch to one with POE if needed, but can't really increase the size of the unit (currently a netgear GS105, haven't found a branded POE switch in the same size)

Is there anything else out there that people can recommend, the key features being :- DMX to artnet, small, usb powered, reliable, web page config preferred.

Thanks

J

I am happy with the edmx1 pro http://dmxking.com/artnetsacn/edmx1-pro. I use it already over a year without any problem.

Hi all,

Looking for recommendations for a small, reliable single universe DMX to artnet unit. Basically I'm touring a pair of Resolume servers, and on an upcoming tour I'd like to have the option of DMX control rather than Artnet, due to some venues not having cat 5 lines in their FOH runs. Size is fundamental, the rig is already overflowing from the peli 1510 it lives in (hand luggage restrictions due to flights) Both servers receive the same control signals, as they are main and backup, so the converter needs to broadcast rather than unicast.

Ideally I would go with a Luminex DMX2 Truss, but it's too big and requires POE. But would match the artnet nodes I already own, and I do have the budget for it.

I've used the Enttec ODE, but it's still a bit big, POE or a big-ish wall wart. Didn't like the NMU config software.

Ive seen the Smart Show Net Buddy on ebay, but fly on Sunday and don't have the lead time as they are made to order, and look a little cheap. Can anyone vouch for their reliability?

ELC XLAN buddy looks like a good option, usb powered (already have a 5 way usb psu to power blackmagic HDMI to SDI convertors) but have had friends trash ELC nodes due to issues in the past, not experienced them myself. Doesn't look too rugged though

ELC XLAN 1 looks better made, but again requires POE.

Can upgrade my network switch to one with POE if needed, but can't really increase the size of the unit (currently a netgear GS105, haven't found a branded POE switch in the same size)

Is there anything else out there that people can recommend, the key features being :- DMX to artnet, small, usb powered, reliable, web page config preferred.

Thanks

J

I am happy with the edmx1 pro http://dmxking.com/artnetsacn/edmx1-pro. I use it already over a year without any problem.

Cheap but ticks the boxes. The UK distributer doesn't list it, but the US one does at a cheaper price point, I could get it delivered to the first venue. I know folks who use the 4 way DMX King nodes, will get some more input on their products.

We used the SmartShow NetDMX as a first ArtNet node for QLab - it didn't work out the box at all, QLab wouldn't find it, (didn't respond to ArtNet poll), didn't respond to broadcast mode, would only work when Artnet node address was entered manually and fired directly at it - which QLab didn't allow so didn't work for us. Seemed to have some deviation from ArtNet spec, but it was a nicely made product and these were firmware issues so hopefully they will be ironed out in future.

For small PoE, I use the Netgear "xS108P" 8-port PoE switches - 4 PoE, 4 normal.

GS108P and FS108P.

It's 77mm wider than the 5-port GS105 but otherwise identical - basically the width of the three extra RJ45 ports.

While the power brick is slightly larger, remember that it removes the need for the DMX>Ethernet box power brick, so you save space (and a socket!) overall.

Does anyone have any experience with the LSC Nexus nodes? They have come up as an option. POE again....

I have ruled out the DMX King product, DMX in only unicasts to one ip address only.

Bad info, the DMX King does do broadcast on DMX in

Edited by James Remo

• 1 month later...

We used the SmartShow NetDMX as a first ArtNet node for QLab - it didn't work out the box at all, QLab wouldn't find it, (didn't respond to ArtNet poll), didn't respond to broadcast mode, would only work when Artnet node address was entered manually and fired directly at it - which QLab didn't allow so didn't work for us. Seemed to have some deviation from ArtNet spec, but it was a nicely made product and these were firmware issues so hopefully they will be ironed out in future.

You're not alone. I had exactly the same issues earlier this year. After speaking with the manufacturer (who was amazingly friendly and helpful) he sent me some updated firmware (although that didn't solve the issue).

Switched to an Enttec ODE and it worked straight away.

Hello Tom & Gadget IOM,

Thank you for the comments, SmartShow NetDMX did have an issue of connectivity with QLab earlier this year, and it took me several attempts to fix the issue, but now I can happily say that it works fine and has been proven by several users on the DIY DMX ArtNet Facebook group.

Regards Bob

From Maurice Gifford on 19th August 2017... "Hi Bob, That new software is great and it just worked now with QLab4. Thank you for working on this and getting it to work. Regards,Maurice" :)

We are currently up to v1.25, which has some nice new features, plus we have an Autumn price reduction going on eBay :)

In Vancouver tonight, ended up with the 1 universe DMX king box that is ok as a DMX input to the resolume servers, but have had a couple of issues using it as an output node (as I am doing today, as the house ArtNet nodes 'could not be reconfigured' to the 2.x.x.x range.. and our setup has fixed ip's and is quite involved with midi triggers over network from ableton machines) with cheaper led fixtures