Need a followspot!

richie1575

I want to buy a follow spot for a charity. I can either buy secondhand or new. The new models on the market seem to all be LED. I can get a second hand strand for similar money. What should I go for?

As the money is coming out of my own pocket, obviously cheap as possible, but I want to make a sensible and realistic choice. Any input gratefully received.

Thank you!

Not sure how often they come up but we got a couple of Source 4 follow spots complete with stands and handle mounted dimmers for about 350 each a couple of years a go from a well known dealer in lighting that has been used (although I don't know if they're still trading). Lamped at 750W they're brighter than our 1k sil f/s and (subjectively) nearly as bright as the 2k. And a lot lighter and manageable.

It may be the one the OP was interested in, but for those expressing an interest, there's a pair of Strand SOLO CSI available from 10 out of 10...

There is also a pair of Super Troupers in need of some TLC on eBay at the moment... might be overkill for anybody not working in an arena though!

Shame I have nowhere to put them...

That is indeed exactly the same package as we bought about 4 years ago, at slightly more. I note they have a Cantata f/s in stock which might be worth a look. We used one manuy years ago when we did a show at Questors and it was fairly bright. Lamped at 1200W it isn't a bad lantern (still).

I have 3 of those Source 4 Followspots in my "hire" stock and can thoroughly recommend them. They have served me well over several years at many venues ranging from an intimate 60 seat studio (last week) to the rigours of The Minack (they don't seem to rust that much) and by co-incidence I am based within 1 mile of Alister's venue. They are a lot brighter than these 2k Sils that I have lying around (x 4 to be disposed of to anyone interested).

Whilst being shown as OOS on that website, you might find a phone call to them might elicit a positive response.

If not, a bit of clever metalwork, a suitable dimmer and stand combined with a 10deg Source 4 and you have your own version,

Alan B

ah - I've just PMed someone about a 2k sil to convert our 1k f/s to a 2K, for use at Minack, instead of the source 4s (which, as you say, seem to survive quite well).

We often leave 1k sils rigged for the whole week at Minack and they just refuse to die. They rust a bit, yes, but survive a week no problem with a cleanup afterwards.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived