Business bank accounts - who do you like?

Judge

Yes HSBC has just closed all but one of its branches in Hull, a city of 300,000. Remaining branch is inconveniently sited in the city centre with no parking.

I wouldn't base your choice on branch location as whatever the bank it'll probably get closed within a few years.

I really have nothing but good comments on Santander - who do everything I need. I did think the lack of business branches would be a pain for cheques, but the drop off at the post office system works well.

The one thing that really niggles and is probably something many people wouldn't even wish to do - play the national lottery - cannot be done from your business account. They have a policy about gambling and it's banned on business accounts - so you cannot pay electronically using your card. As I'm self-employed, any personal money I take from the account is drawings and legitimate - yet they will not let me transfer £20 from Santander to the lottery account. A minor niggle.

but the drop off at the post office system works well.

Cheques dropped off that way take longer to clear. As far as I could see, the Post Office counter staff just put your cheque in a pre-printed envelope and chuck it in the post. (Although it might be done differently at other branches)

They go in the santander envelope, and get sent in the post, 1st class - so normally arrive next day - most banks with counter staff now scan the cheques in the back office and then send the scans - which I don't think get processed any quicker, apart from the day santander stuff is with RM - still takes 4 or 5 days to clear though.

I was with Nat West for 30 years until their prices started getting very silly, closed it then joined Co-Op via FSB and struggled for 2 years.

As I'm a sole trader I had a chat with Santander and just transferred everything to my 123 account, they are happy with payments to my business name.

• 2 months later...

Well, I have moved my personal; account back to Nationwide and business to Santander. Already much happier as the Coop was in the dark ages tech wise, esp for the business account. Couldnt do a thing unless you logged into their website and used the stupid keypad thingy.

Now I have a remote app for Android, plus I can configure the account to send me text and email alerts about things. Its like 2017!

I urge you to leave the sinking ship. Co-op group now owns like 1% of the business, the rest is owned by a bunch of hedge funders.

Ah, Santander, the bank that sent me a cheque when I closed an old account. A cheque for 1p no less. A cheque of so little value that no other bank will accept it.

How many banks did you go round before you gave up?

Maybe they're just doing it intentionally to troll departing customers and other banks.

Archived