is a dmx required

toby

right a quick question which I hit me earlier, im doing a show coming up. VERY small scale, literally 2 x Mini Macs(for the ability of being able to use a 13 amp supply) and a fat frog control desk(I love it) and I realised if I am only using 2 moving lights do I need to hire a DMX as well. if someone could let me know. cheers

toby

A DMX? What do you mean? DMX isn't a physical 'thing' - it's a control data protocol (DMX512).

Moderation - moved post into the correct forum. Lighting questions go in the Lighting forum.

Hi

Not quite sure what you mean by "A" DMX. DMX is not an object it is a protocol for sending instructions to dimmers or intelligent lights from a lighting control desk. The frog desk already uses this protocol. On the back of the desk you will find a 5 pin output labeled DMX out. Run a cable from this to mini mac 1 then out of mini mac 1 into mini mac 2. I am assuming that you know how to address these and how to patch them in the desk. If you are using generics as well you should find a DMX out on your dimmers connect you macs to this in the same way.

Maybe a DeMuX? (Short for Demultiplexer by the way, it converts Digital DMX signals to +/-10V analogue signals for control of old dimmers). If it's just a FF then 2 macs, you won't need one.

If you mean DMX-A, I have no idea. I think it's a future plan for the other 2 pins in a 5pin XLR.

Where did DMX-A and a Demux come into the equation, lets not confuse the poor guy!!

Yes you will need a DMX system (which is what I presume you mean) to connect the movers to the desk.

So you will have a 5 pin out of the desk into --> 5pin to 3pin convertor into --> Minimac 1 out to --> Mini Mac two --> into a DMX terminator.

Sam

I think it's quite possible that the OP meant a Demux, judging by the general level of knowledge implied (no insult, just an observation). DMX-A might be stretching it a bit, I agree.

Hey, from the age of 15 to the age of 18, I thought they were called Parkhands! (True Story)

Hey, from the age of 15 to the age of 18, I thought they were called Parkhands! (True Story)

For a similar length of time, I thought it was Fres-nels. Until someone corrected me that is!

I think its likely too that he meant Demux. Just thinking of the number of phone conversations I have had when you mishear things like that. Seems highly likely that it was a 'word of mouth translation' perhaps?

David

right a quick question which I hit me earlier, im doing a show coming up. VERY small scale, literally 2 x Mini Macs(for the ability of being able to use a 13 amp supply) and a fat frog control desk(I love it) and I realised if I am only using 2 moving lights do I need to hire a DMX as well. if someone could let me know. cheers

toby

Here's EXACTLY what you need to run two Mini Macs using a Fat Frog:

(If you want to run anything else you'll need extra stuff)

Extension leads from your power source (13A wall sockets) to each of your minimacs.

Extension leads from power to your Fat Frog (and any other bits like monitors).

2x pieces of 3-pin DMX cable - one to go from your Fat Frog to the first Mini Mac, and another to go from the 1st to the 2nd Mini Mac.

1x 5 to 3-pin DMX adapter to plug into the back of your Fat Frog.

1x 3-pin DMX terminator to go in the DMX-out of the last Mini Mac.

(Thanks Darkfold)

Archived