Lab Gruppen Wattage Question?

pete10uk

Hi All

Just a bit of a question.

I'm just specifying a job, the customer successfully uses Lab Gruppen C20:8x amplifiers in other locations, so has a bit of an liking to them, however the spec sheet states 8 x 250w @ 4, 8 and 16 ohms as well as 70v. I was expecting a different wattage dependant on the resistance. Dose this amp do some clever monitoring and adjustments to achieve 250W or am I missing something.

Cheers

You'll find that many modern class D amplifiers, especially 4 or 8-channel versions, do not follow the pattern of output power that you would normally associate with linear class (A, A/B, H etc) amplifiers.

You'll find that many modern class D amplifiers, especially 4 or 8-channel versions, do not follow the pattern of output power that you would normally associate with linear class (A, A/B, H etc) amplifiers.

This is because they tend to have more "smart" features though, it's not anything to do with it being a class D amp. Power output from a class D amplifier output stage follows ohms law just the same as a linear amp output stage. The processing stage is designed to adjust the signal level to keep the output power constant for different load impedances.

Archived