HD vision mixer recommendations.

pete10uk

Hi all.

I'm looking for recommendations for a new HD vision mixer for live events.

I've used a Kramer vp-727 for years and it has been brilliant, there was always a couple of things I would have liked it to do like a frame store and a couple of other minor refinements but I have alwaysed thought it was the best mixer for the money available.

It was a 8 universal sd input dual scaler mixer with rgbhv and cv being the only type of input I used regularly,

They made a follow up version (vp-747) with a couple of hdmi inputs but I never upgraded to it myself choosing to wait until they made a version with 8 hdmi's, but they never have done. I did sell a couple and they worked well.

They have just released the vp-772 which when I spoke to them was suppose to be essentially the same but with the addition of audio switching as well, and in a 1u format not a 3 u as the earlier model.

However this turned up yesterday and I'm not impressed.

The fan is noisey, the input selection buttons are nice but the take button (not that it actually has a dedicated take button, it's the enter button) is very clickey. The worse thing is the 5 second time out once you have switched to a new source before you can switch again. The menu is not great and it doesn't appear to scale the outputs in the same way as the old one did. The test patterns it states it has are essentially colour bars and a wiping bar, no grid or ratio pattern and to top it all the preview screen keeps displaying green indicating it has no input however the same input showes fine on the program output. All in all disappointing!

So it's going back which leaves me looking for an alternative.

I have about £2500-£3000 budget and am looking for a hardware switcher with seamless fade and cut between inputs, not through black. It must have buttons on it not just controlled via an app or computer. Ideally 8 universal inputs allowing hdmi, vga and CV as a minimum but SDI would be a bonus which may allow the budget to be stretched.

Looking for reliable brands with good warranty and service. No fancy stuff required just a hd switch built like a tank. (Basically what Kramer are normally good at)

Any suggestions?

Cheers

The BlackMagic Atem switchers are very good if you can be sure that all your inputs will be set to the same resolution/refresh rate.

Atem 1M/E is about £2K and has basic buttons on the front. But to access all the bells and whistles you do need to use a computer, or their extremely expensive hardware control panel. Doesn't do VGA either.

Have a look at the ensemble designs switchers, they make very nice HD SDI and also HDMI switchers, NXT 410/430 models. Very compact reliable and the support is great from Ensemble.

Another fail safe is always the barco image pro units, there are often quite a few for sale, and support VGA/HDMI/SDI scaling etc and you will be able to find some in your price range

Second hand PDS902. New will be over your budget IIRC. ImagePro's don't offer seamless switching - it's fade through black, cut or through logo from memory. I wouldn't bother with a DCS as your show will be over by the time it's reacted to your button presses...

Alternatively a Blackmagic TV Stufio HD - their new box - which is 1u and quite feature filled. However there's no scaling, so spend what you save on the £800 price tag on decimators to convert sources to be accepted by the box.

Archived