LED 'fluorescents'

gibbothegreat

Hi All,

for our next show the LD has specified various LED 'fluorescent' replacement panels, with the caveat that they need to be dimmable. They've pointed me to these which look to be a fairly reasonable price, however digging down into their specs suggests that they would only be compatible with trailing edge dimmers (I have to say the information is pretty well hidden, but that's a beef for another day...) We have Strand LD90s: the manual doesn't actually say what these are, but I'm assuming they will be leading edge? Can anybody tell me what the story is here, and what I would need to make these work?

Thanks in advance

You might get them to dim from a leading edge dimmer if you put a big load lamp on with them (par can or something). As far ad I know there is no such thing as a proper theatrical trailing edge dimmer. If you look on ebay you can get a din rail DMX trailing edge dimmer (3 channel) for about £30, I've tested these and they work well with LED drivers. Only 200w per channel though.

Thanks for responses. Turns out the supplier above is out of stock and won't have any in time for our requirement, and have found an equivalent which offers the option of a 'Triac dimmable driver' - which I think would be compatible with the LD90s.

Cheers,

Ian

If I were able to source trailing edge dimmers, would these drivers still work with them?

I haven't yet come across any that don't. The "triac dimmable" feature is usually an added extra...

They do not work with sine wave dimmers though, as they use the phase angle of the dimming to work out how bright to be.

This is the DIN rail one I have tested. Took about 10 days to arrive from China. It is well built, electrically safe and dims the LEDs beautifully.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DMX512-DMX-Triac-Dimmer-led-brightness-controller-AC90-240V-Trailing-edge-3CHx1A-/291707064734?hash=item43eb18919e:g:9qAAAOSwFNZW0AXb

http://kfupload.alibaba.com/kf-down/HTB1.tgiLFXXXXboaXXXq6xXFXXX0.jpg?size=97005&height=800&width=800&hash=6dc8cf935fa9d22d1ce5a1db9bb199f5

Archived