HDMI over power line

taylord

As HDMI can struggle beyond about six meters on its own dedicated cable, sending it directly over power lines is rather impracticable. What those adapters generally do is essentially convert the signal to a streaming video format and send it over ethernet over the mains. It adds latency and reduces quality - possibly acceptable in a d0me$tic setting but perhaps not a good route for professional use.

It's by no means guaranteed, but I have a 10m HDMI that I've used with a variety of sources and had no issues. Stick a HDMI splitter/reclocker somewhere midspan (or use one of the active cables) and 10-15m shouldn't be any issue?

Orr Couple of BMD micro converters, and convert to SDI, assuming HDCP isn't required.

It's by no means guaranteed, but I have a 10m HDMI that I've used with a variety of sources and had no issues. Stick a HDMI splitter/reclocker somewhere midspan (or use one of the active cables) and 10-15m shouldn't be any issue?

Orr Couple of BMD micro converters, and convert to SDI, assuming HDCP isn't required.

Well if we are going for HDMI waving I have a 25m cable that works fine (it was an expensive chunky one). But I presume he is trying to get round the problem of installing a cable, rather than distance.

They do kinda work. Don't even think about about plugging one in via a 4way splitter!

I've had reasonable success with one at home with both ends plugged directly to a wall socket (although 1 did work via a single gang extension). I left it plugged in for several days and it needed rebooting roughly every day.

Well if we are going for HDMI waving I have a 25m cable that works fine (it was an expensive chunky one). But I presume he is trying to get round the problem of installing a cable, rather than distance.

Precisely. Ceiling isn't great and wanting to avoid having to drill through joists! I may just go for HDMI over CAT5 and run some trunking around the edge. Depends what the client is after Aesthetically I suppose

Anything 'over Powerline' is very dependent on your Powerline quality - you can find it works well in one area and not in others of the same property.HDMI over Powerline means big compression and can be very buggy even on a clean powerline.If wires are an option go wired!'HDMI over Fiber' is worth considering if you require a thin/flexible cable which you can surface mount with minimal visual impact.Joe

Archived