composite video cables

hi

what's the best cable to use for composite video cables of about 10-20m length? I had a gig today with two projectors and had to run 30m mic leads with amusing XLR to phono adapters! it looked ok as it wasnt the main attraction (we used the screens for closeup camera shots of the band on stage and other computer graphic stuff), but I should think there is better cable to use than mic. had a quick look through the Studio Spares catalogue as its easily to hand, and they do RG58/9 cable but isnt that for TV aerial signals? the world of video is new to me so all info however basic is helpful!!

thanks

Tim

Ugh- video over mic cables. My opinion, 0-15m I run RG59 coax cable, simply because I bought about 7x 15m leads a while ago and I use them, and then I have 6x 30m leads of RG6 coax.

RG58 I believe is 50 ohm for antennae and the like, whereas 75ohm RG59 is for video.

Yes the RG59 cable can be used for TV antennae but it will run video just fine, and a whole lot better than your mic leads.

David

RG59 is the stuff - it's actually not that brilliant for UHF tv downlead and it doesn't fit tv coax plugs that well, but for video it's the industry standard - just make sure you use 75, not 50 ohm plugs. Canford audio do a few versions, some with different jackets.

Agree with all the above - RG59 is the stuff, although the chunkier RG6 may be appropriate for longer runs..

RG58 was commonly used for data comms - 10Base2 10Mb/s "thinwire" ethernet. Hardly ever seen now, except in legacy installations.

So I've got a junk store full of cables, BNCs, T-pieces etc - all 50 ohm and of very little use to us now...

Bruce.

...from any decent component supplier. CPC, RS, farnell etc etc. Or maybe from a company that installs CCTV. It's used a lot by the cable TV companies too...

My local component supplier (tait components in Glasgow) sells it for 14 pounds for 100m.

Bruce.

Well - CPC appear to do an even cheaper version at 6 quid!.... :)

Bear in mind that Maplin do RG59 at 30 quid per drum, and cpc/farnell/tait do it at about half that. Sounds about right.....

Bruce.

ps - you should bear in mind that RG6, while definitely better for satellite/RF links, is also a little thicker and stiffer. This may have an impact on how you use it....

May I recommend Vandamme for RG59 at 75Ohm

Lovely cable, solid quality, you can even buy them already made up with connectors to your specified lengths (even different coloured stress relievers if that what takes your fancy!), which is handy if you only want a couple and don't want to spash out on a crimping tool. Most of the companies I work for use VDC cabling for their video cables, and in fact most signal cables generally.

I second the vandamm cable, CPC sell it for £70 per reel which is quite a lot, compared with a cheap pvc RG59 for tv downleads at £15 per reel, but you will find the vandamm stuff is stranded conductor and flexible ho5 cable. But what I found is its cheaper to buy it premade from vdc trading than buy the cable, the BNC plugs, boots the correct size and make it up myself.

Archived