Quiet portable air conditioning

Doug Siddons

Speak to your local posh marquee hire companies - they will have suitable units and cost less than getting something from the local hire shop.

It's the compressor etc that makes the noise so really what the client is going to end up with is a noisy unit "somewhere else" and the air ducted in to the performance space.

I have used a common type of large portable air conditioner that blows the chilled air out of two short semi flexible ducts. These ducts may be extended within reason and the actual unit placed outside of the cooled area.

Hired from Andrews Sykes IIRC though they are widely available.

hire firm link This sort of machine.

Not particularly quiet, but excellent if placed outside the cooled space and the ducts directed into the space.

A venue that I did some summer work in used to hire bloody great container sized units that sat outside and ducted 12" pipes into the building. I did get told the price but can't remember but it was over a grand a day

Is it a marquee or a proper structure? If it's a marquee or similar temporary structure forget 'air-con'. Aircon recirculates the air in the room cooling it down each time but marquees are so poorly insulated it will just never get cool. Much like with heating, the only way to make a difference in a marquee is a large chiller cooling lots of air and pumping it into the space at a very high rate (which makes noise).

If it's a proper structure or building then aircon is more likely to work and you can get proper aircon units for temp events that work like a normal split unit aircon for an office with a fan unit inside and a condenser outside. As someone mentioned the compressor is the loud bit which sits in the condenser outside. The difference with systems designed for events is generally they use water as the coolant rather than proper coolant - it's easier to setup a dry system and fill it with water afterwards, then just chuck it away at the end.

Acclimatise, carrier and event heat are companies I know of with both types of units in stock.

We've got air "chillers" which are just evaporative chillers but these are quiet enough that we use them during Plymouth Uni's graduation ceremonies in the ceremony hall itself. This is in a marquee and we can take maybe 3-4 degC off the air temp in there at best. This is on a sunny September day.

Drop me a line josh@nubsound.com for pricing and availability as I know they're pretty busy over the summer.

Josh

Archived