Zero88 Jester behaving strangely

Stuart91

One of my customers has a Jester 12/24 out from us at the moment. He's using it to control a bunch of LED, all in simple 3ch RGB mode.

When he brings up faders, the output behaves as expected. So bring up faders 1 and 3 and the first fixture will show purple. However, when he brings a fader down, the desk doesn't respond. So pull down fader 3 and the output stays purple.

Bring down the Grand Master, and bring it back up again, and the fixture is red.

I've talked him through a factory reset of the desk, and I can't see anything obvious that would be causing this. He is in Preset mode, fade time is down, and I can't see anything else untoward. I'm struggling to troubleshoot it over the phone.

Is there anything else I should be investigating?

I managed to get someone from Zero on the phone.

Turns out that the customer had managed to loop the DMX cabling back into the input socket on the desk. The desk holds the DMX that it receives - I think the feature is intended for snapshotting scenes from other desks.

So all sorted - and excellent service from Zero88 once again.

Turns out that the customer had managed to loop the DMX cabling back into the input socket on the desk.

You literally cannot guess this stuff and certainly not when you're dealing with it remotely. Of all the things a person with knowledge might hazard a guess that it could be, the trouble is that we don't see the thing that it is as even being a thing!

At least my students make errors that one might be able to guess at. This one is plain off the scale.

The other thing that threw me was that the customer said when they moved the DMX line over onto another desk, it all worked fine. (They have a small Scenesetter thing that could run the first few fixtures). Of course, that desk doesn't have the DMX in, but they hadn't spotted the difference in wiring layout and didn't mention anything to me.

Jon, if it was you I got on the phone yesterday afternoon, then thanks - it saved me a 90min round trip which I was really glad to avoid.

Archived