Memory Lighting Desk Suggestions

LightingNoob

You are seeking more desks to try, but as a general explanation to other and future readers of why some desks are not popular as fixtures and lighting generations evolve ...

Each lighting desk designer has their own syntax or convention on controlling the lighting, so the number or combination of keys to press varies, to achieve the same result. Some desk designers also allow direct keyboard entry using a command line syntax, as it is quicker for experienced lighting designers. Some companies change their own design rules and different generations of desks evolve.

In Australia, there are two main designers of lighting desks, Jands and LSC, who use different syntax of combinations of keystrokes or control sequences on their desks or software systems, so there are two different streams of people using their desks. A lot of users can use both systems, but some users prefer or insist on only using one manufacturers desk.

It is similar to calculators and computer operating systems.

This is why you need to go out and try different desks, or download different software packages, made easier through the Blue Room.

Thanks for all the responses.

Do you just control dimmer channels? Do you have any intelligent lights, leds, or plan to go there in the future?

Is this to buy or to hire? What's the budget? What sort of desks have you used before and liked?

currently have LED and moving lights that I find very complicated to manipulate on the leapfrog which I thought may be easier with something like the ETC Express (the only other desk that I have used, and enjoyed).

Hi,

Do you know what software version you're running on the LeapFrog 96? We often find schools are very very out of date (and the console is several years old).

We're also coming to the end of collecting feedback on a complete revamp of the software, to bring it inline with our other consoles. If you're interested (and allowed) I'd be happy to add you to the test group.

Jon

I would steer away from an Express if you are consistently using movers, while the desk can handle them it is far from the most natural process and not what the desk excels at. As a generics desk for an education setting it's a solid desk but it's not the grunt for movers in my opinion.

I would steer away from an Express if you are consistently using movers, while the desk can handle them it is far from the most natural process and not what the desk excels at. As a generics desk for an education setting it's a solid desk but it's not the grunt for movers in my opinion.

Not sure I agree with this, if you have a touchscreen attached it is easy enough, and you are learning an industry-standard desk which will come in useful if you go further in lighting.

On the other hand I am not sure that "horrible" really describes the Leapfrog, it operates quite differently to other desks, but being able to operate a range of different desks is also a useful skill to have.

Hi,

Do you know what software version you're running on the LeapFrog 96? We often find schools are very very out of date (and the console is several years old).

I am unaware of the current software version and how I would find out.

Not sure I agree with this, if you have a touchscreen attached it is easy enough, and you are learning an industry-standard desk which will come in useful if you go further in lighting.

On the other hand I am not sure that "horrible" really describes the Leapfrog, it operates quite differently to other desks, but being able to operate a range of different desks is also a useful skill to have.

I only have a small 4:3 (I think) screen that looks 10 years old, so no touch screen I'm afraid. As soon as I read the post back I felt it was being a little harsh as well just I was trying to contrast it with how I liked the ETC

If you use movers and like ETC desks, can I suggest the ETC Ion? It's syntax driven, fairly common across the industry, and can definitely cope with movers in a sensible way.

From A quick glance the Ion looks a little too expensive for the school (with cut sand all that) so maybe something below 3 or 4 grand? (the cheaper the better)

I am unaware of the current software version and how I would find out.

When you first turn it on, the version should be displayed. If it's not, in the Output Window you'll see a window saying "Other windows". Click that, and then click "System Information" - this will display the software version (unless it's running very old software, in which case it'll be in SETUP > Files > Desk Information)

so maybe something below 3 or 4 grand? (the cheaper the better)

The cheapest option would be to try and get what you have working properly :-)

When you first turn it on, the version should be displayed. If it's not, in the Output Window you'll see a window saying "Other windows". Click that, and then click "System Information" - this will display the software version (unless it's running very old software, in which case it'll be in SETUP > Files > Desk Information)

Thanks I will try that soon and let you know!

Seconded. The Leapfrog 96 is a very powerful console if used properly, although it can also be used in simple modes when that makes more sense even down to two-preset operation.

There are some

which Zero 88 produced when the LeapFrog 48/96 was new which might be worth a quick look just to get an idea of what the concept was. When the software is fully up to date - and Jon can confirm if this is true or not - the training for the current Solution series (which externally looks exactly the same but is black rather than green) might well be closer to the truth, in which case you might try to get to the training session early in the new year.

When the software is fully up to date - and Jon can confirm if this is true or not - the training for the current Solution series (which externally looks exactly the same but is black rather than green) might well be closer to the truth, in which case you might try to get to the training session early in the new year.

Yes, we relaunched Leap Frog 48 & 96 several years ago after customer feedback as the Solution Series, so it would be worth joining Solution Series training. Training dates for the first half of 2017 can be found on the link below. They're completely free of charge, and include lunch.

zero88.com/training

Archived