Stage Lighting Terminology - Web App

indyld

All

Something I've been working on recently at On Stage Lighting is a flashcard/quiz web app to help users learn stage lighting terminology, particularly different equipment. The available test version has a limited question set, VERY basic for absolute beginners and might be handy for school level techs just starting out.

Further versions to come but for now, let me know what you think. The formatting is a bit flaky on mobile still and if the app does anything odd, just refresh your browser and start again - it's mostly there but there are occasional bugs to be dealt with. Have a go and post your thoughts here.

Stage Lighting App - Terminology

Cheers

Perfect for my Daughter (12 yrs old and learning fast!). Would be great to see some more complex ones coming too for them to progress through - maybe some DMX addressing questions (eg, which dip switch set represents 16), some basic power elements etc etc.

Great principal if you ask me - just needs more content :)

On a technical level, it all works just fine in 3 different browsers for me, and is pretty responsive etc - only criticism would be that on the "pair these" questions, you have to click inside the image, not the box - so you can sometimes "miss a click" and fluff the question by accident, and lastly, and I think this is a preference, but you get "one chance" to click an answer - and its either right or wrong, which could be negatively received by more anxious learners. An option would be that when you click "continue", that could be the point that the answer is submitted and marked right or wrong. But as I say, thats a preference thing - I would be grateful for any tools like this for learners, preferences aside.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: The comment about the "pair these" questions - its not consistently doing it, so its either my browser doing something odd, or its not consistent in the app. Will play more and let you know if its me!

I didn't have a problem picking up what I was meant to do and the whole thing ran smoothly and felt very slick on Firefox so no complaints there. Some people haven't had the same experience but I guess being part of digital generation helps!

One suggestion is that while it is all well and good being able to name name various bits of equipment it would be nice if users could be tested on how they might be used with questions such as "What would you use to do X?" and so on.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Happy to still hear from other users as and when they swing by this post.

One suggestion is that while it is all well and good being able to name name various bits of equipment it would be nice if users could be tested on how they might be used with questions such as "What would you use to do X?" and so on.

The above, plus some other things mentioned in the user feedback so far, are on the cards for future versions. :)

• 4 months later...

Archived