Farnell takeover

boatman

The American Fortune500 company Avnet Inc has completed the takeover of Farnell. Let's hope it doesn't affect the supply chain too much as a lot of Farnell stock is currently held in the US with premium charges for UK delivery.

Link

Farnell is part of element14 in the UK too. I have lost count of the number of orders I've place to them, and it's rare I have to resort to the US stock most of my orders are supplied from a combination of the UK and EU warehouses. There have been times when I've been known to buy their entire EU stock (and most of the US stock on one occasion) but it doesn't happen too often.

I'll be watching to see what happens, hopefully it doesn't change things for the worse. Thanks for the heads up

Wonder if it will affect the prices. I use RS and Farnell regularly and interchangeably. A year or two ago RS was almost always more expensive but that has reversed now and I use RS far more as a result.

From reading the blurb it looks like Avnet realised their product range was not getting designed into new products because it is so hard to get sample devices out of them when you're designing something. (I know, I have tried.) Whereas you can just go on Farnell's website and have it on your desk tomorrow. So I guess they will be looking to use Farnell's distribution network to allow design engineers better access to their product range.

This might mean that manufacturers which Avnet don't distribute (there are not many) get bumped in favour of ones they do - for example what will happen to Farnell's generic "Multicomp" brand?

And of course Farnell also owns CPC.......

I wonder if it would make sense for Avnet to sell on CPC as a standalone entity. (How closely is the warehousing / supply chain intertwined?)

It could be an easy way to make back some of their outlay and from Tim's interpretation of their intentions I can't see the CPC offering being a desperately good match for that.

Archived