Remote control lighting

Damian Jay

Hi all, it's been quite a while since my last post on BR and once again I would be grateful for some advice and assistance please.

I would like to build a new prop for my bubble show.

What I have in mind are 8 stands (similar to the round base mic stands). Each stand will have a small round box on the top with an opaque lid that still lets light through. Approximate size no larger than 8 inches in diameter. Height indeterminate at present as it depends on the lighting aspect.

What I would like to do:

I space these stands out evenly across the stage , they are not connected to any mains power nor are they connected to each other.

During performance I would like to blow a smoke filled bubble on the top of each stand. Once all 8 have a smoke filled bubble on the top I would like to press a button on a remote control device. This will switch on a light source inside each box on the stand and in turn each bubble will 'glow'

What I'm stuck on:

I would like some help and advice please on what kind of light source could be used for this idea. Each light source must (ideally) be a different colour. And all light sources must switch on at the same time from one button on a remote controller.

I understand I'd need a battery of some description inside the box on each stand.

Any help or advice you can give would be very welcome. If you need more information on the prop idea please feel free to ask.

Thank you - Damian

Battery and wireless DMX? Just that you cannot have an opaque item that lets light through!

Opaque was a poor wording choice. The acrylic over the top of the boxes will be a milky colour. While it isn't see through it does let about 80% of light through and diffuses it nicely giving an even spread of light.

I just wasn't sure what the right word was so I used opaque.

I would think something on the lines of uplighter

Ooooo love these.... a little too big unfortunately.

If you don't need the ability to change the colour and they just come on (on cue) in one colour and stay that way (until turned off) then I can't help but feel any off the shelf LED fixture will be very overkill and expensive.

If you don't need them to dim or fade either then something as simple as an LED MR16 lamp with a 12v battery and a bit of gel. Add a switch circuit like the ones used for gate openers and you are away.

Look at home automation type places for the cheap key fob type switches - they are often either tunable to the same fob or actually all programmed the same so one fob will activate all the receivers at the same time.

Nick

Something like this...

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=162038134237&category=50587&pm=1&ds=0&t=1476572944162

If you don't need the ability to change the colour and they just come on (on cue) in one colour and stay that way (until turned off) then I can't help but feel any off the shelf LED fixture will be very overkill and expensive.

If you don't need them to dim or fade either then something as simple as an LED MR16 lamp with a 12v battery and a bit of gel. Add a switch circuit like the ones used for gate openers and you are away.

Look at home automation type places for the cheap key fob type switches - they are often either tunable to the same fob or actually all programmed the same so one fob will activate all the receivers at the same time.

Nick

Sounds like a plan.

The ability to change colour would be a great plus in the routine but is not necessary. Just 8 different coloured bubble domes would be enough. I'll take a look at this in depth as I get the lamp and the battery part well enough, however with regards to switch circuits and receivers you've lost me. I like a challenge tho so off I go to learn about them, thank you.

For a so so cheap solution

Ebay LED VASE BASES

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-10-LED-RGB-Submersible-Vase-Base-Tea-Light-Waterproof-Tealight-Remote-IP65-/252415240194?hash=item3ac51ee802:g:V~QAAOSw-itXul2e

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4x-Colorful-10-LED-RGB-Submersible-Vase-Base-Tea-Light-Wedding-Remote-Waterproof-/182314396900?hash=item2a72c8ece4:g:EbkAAOSwMgdX16yq

not sure if they will be bright enough or big enuff but for bout 3.00 each they are worth a try

Big Clive on here would be the man to modify them if required

LED vase uplighters would be my first suggestion, available from eBay or Ali express.

They are available up to 6"/150mm diameter and would give you a prepackaged item, complete with batteries ready to attach to a stand.

They usually have a remote which will allow you to select any one of 16 colours or to turn them on and off. Only possible downside would be that if you want to turn them on from one button, if you change colour then they will all change to the same colour, making a rainbow or similar won't be possible as they will all respond to the same wireless remote.

The remotes can be a bit hit and miss, so it is also possible that you will hit the button to change colour and one won't change. Might need to try a couple of brands to find one that you could rely on for a slick effect.

LED vase uplighters would be my first suggestion, available from eBay or Ali express.

They are available up to 6"/150mm diameter and would give you a prepackaged item, complete with batteries ready to attach to a stand.

They usually have a remote which will allow you to select any one of 16 colours or to turn them on and off. Only possible downside would be that if you want to turn them on from one button, if you change colour then they will all change to the same colour, making a rainbow or similar won't be possible as they will all respond to the same wireless remote.

The remotes can be a bit hit and miss, so it is also possible that you will hit the button to change colour and one won't change. Might need to try a couple of brands to find one that you could rely on for a slick effect.

Also many of them use IR remote which probably won't work if the receivers are inside something else, not to mention they can be a bit directional :unsure:

Thank you to everyone for your help and advice. I have ordered a few items from those suggested and will see what happens.

A colleague of mine has also suggested pixel lighting. I took one look at that and quickly by-passed that idea. I couldn't even understand the tech speak on the page.

I also have approached a few circus performers who perform with LED props and look forward to their replies.

I have a feeling this will be an ongoing project for quite a while. Once I have a working prototype I'll be able to post the info of what I've done and how. Maybe with a few images to boot.

Again, thank you for your suggestions and your time in answering my plea for help :-)

http://www.ac-et.com...ODOTQPACKMR.asp

Battery/IR remote/WDMX/variety of mounting options

Oh .... I am in LOVE with these :-) ......

I may need a moment alone please :-)

I do require the lights to run a chase program as well as be static.

I've also been reading up on Arduino components and software ..... for use with Pixel Rings.

I like the look of these but not sure if the programming will be beyond my capabilities.

Here's one of the website's I've been looking at : My link

Has anyone worked with pixel lighting and Arduino programming?

I've also been reading up on Arduino components and software ..... for use with Pixel Rings.

I like the look of these but not sure if the programming will be beyond my capabilities.

Here's one of the website's I've been looking at : My link

Has anyone worked with pixel lighting and Arduino programming?

Yes, lots, also made lots of standalone things using the Atmel mega chips (the processor on the smaller Arduinos). The arduino libraries are very good, even if you've never done Arduino before it is fairly straightforward to get up and running.

Archived