Mixer / DSP With Remote Log on

pete10uk

A Client is looking for a small setup for a new shop.

The audio spec is quite simple, they have specified the speakers which they have in another shop and like the sound of, these are some EV 8 Ohm 400w program units. They want a minimum of 2 x stereo inputs with a remote volume controller for the shop floor. My thought was a cloud amp mixer, however he wants to be able to log on remotely and adjust the tone and gain settings. A simple web interface will suffice but I've never come across this without going down something which is probably way over the top.

Any suggestions where I should start looking for a cost effective unit.?

They are IT based so networking and router configuration is not an issue.

Cheers

Behringer X AIR XR12 would do that, as would the Soundcraft Ui12. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif (with an amp, obviously)

I had bad times with an early Soundcraft Ui, but they may be fixed now. Never used the X AIR.

Behringer X AIR XR12 would do that, as would the Soundcraft Ui12. http://www.blue-room.org.uk/public/style_emoticons/default/unsure.gif (with an amp, obviously)

I had bad times with an early Soundcraft Ui, but they may be fixed now. Never used the X AIR.

Thanks Mark

The Soundcraft looks great, an interesting concept for other projects.

I should have been more specific on the Remote volume controller, what they want is a physical wired volume controller knob, remote to the system as posed to wireless remote!

Thanks Mark

I should have been more specific on the Remote volume controller, what they want is a physical wired volume controller knob, remote to the system as posed to wireless remote!

Is it intended the volume control be at the site or remote? . Like Mark I would have suggested the Behringer XAir or Soundcrasft Ui they are very easy and intuitive to use I would imagine there is the wherewithall to retrict assess to various functions such that some people only have access to volume control (s). Something that may be more geared to the permanent install market is the Allen & Heath Idr range which has a variety of wall panels avialable might be suitable. Certainly on site we log onto them using the LAN connection so I would think it is possible to do it remotely AND have a simple wall panel with certain controls on it locally.

I've used a BSS BLU-50 in a similar environment (with remote access through a VPN). Pricier than the Behringer and Soundcraft though.

You can build custom interfaces to use with the Harman app, meaning you could theoretically lock down their control as much as you like.

Thanks Mark

Is it intended the volume control be at the site or remote? . Like Mark I would have suggested the Behringer XAir or Soundcrasft Ui they are very easy and intuitive to use I would imagine there is the wherewithall to retrict assess to various functions such that some people only have access to volume control (s). Something that may be more geared to the permanent install market is the Allen & Heath Idr range which has a variety of wall panels avialable might be suitable. Certainly on site we log onto them using the LAN connection so I would think it is possible to do it remotely AND have a simple wall panel with certain controls on it locally.

The remote volume control is at the local site, basically they have an IT cupboard where they want the audio system to be fitted and don't really want the local staff to have access to the controls.

The only control they want locally is a volume dial on the shop floor.

All programming is to be done on install with the ability to connect remotely to adjust if needs be. The remote access is all down to distances, the customer is based in Australia, I'm in the UK and the new site is in Europe. Both the Soundcraft and the Xair look great and are certainly of interest for future projects, I hadn't realised such features were available at that kind of cost.

That said the only way to do the local volume for this project would be via an iOS / tablet style interface, which concerns me a little, not wanting to make a long trip to reprogram a lost iPad or sort connection issues etc.

The IDR looks like just the ticket. I'll have look at it, thanks

I've used a BSS BLU-50 in a similar environment (with remote access through a VPN). Pricier than the Behringer and Soundcraft though.

You can build custom interfaces to use with the Harman app, meaning you could theoretically lock down their control as much as you like.

Ive just been looking at this one, its pretty much between the A&H IDR and this.

This is slightly cheaper than the IDR system but the IDR system has a digital remote so I can preset a mute and possibly some different preset volumes where as this is just a pentameter.

A good contender though!

Cheers

The only control they want locally is a volume dial on the shop floor.

So a volume control on the shop floor, and the ability to adjust the volume from far, far away?

Seems weird. How will the far far away person know how loud the audio is?

Anyway, this application could almost have been designed as an implementation example for the Rane HAL4, along with a local volume control, and a software remote. I'd highly recommend that the remote is not internet accessible, so a VPN.

Hi I think the point is getting muddled here.

The only control needed in the local shop is volume. The remote login access needs to be full configuration and not just volume.

For instance if I go and install the system and and 6 months later they decide that the maximum volume is too loud or there is too much bass, someone can log on and make the adjustment without popping on a plane. Removing the controls completely from the store means no one can be tempted to twiddle!

The Rane Hal4 is in fact what has been used in the past, but I'm unable to get one at the minute.

Rane have just been purchased by inmusic, I couldn't find anyone with stock of the hal4, the previous suppliers have all said they probably won't be supplying Rane anymore, a call to the uk inmusic office got the following response "all stock worldwide is on lock down until an inventory is complete". When I asked if I could get pricing or an estimated availability, I was told no and not sure. When I asked if one would be available for this job In 2 months I was told probably not.

..... When I asked if one would be available for this job In 2 months I was told probably not.

And to cap it all, they've taken the RANE Pro Audio Reference off the webpage. Grrrrr.

Getting back to the OP - this application is exactly what Soundwebs are made for.

a couple of thoughts

1. the soundcraft are gathering an awful reputation not just for router reliability but reliability generally. somethign to be steered away from

2. the x-air's are just the ticket though perhaps overly complex for the requirement. the routers on board are 2.4ghz and prone to interference - if you go down this road, best to allow for an external router.

The only control needed in the local shop is volume. The remote login access needs to be full configuration and not just volume.

The Rane Hal4 is in fact what has been used in the past, but I'm unable to get one at the minute.

Well that's annoying.

Now you've clarified the requirement (or perhaps I just wasn't listening the first time!), the problem isn't the remote configuration, any of the modern low end digital mixers can do that, its the local volume control as well as remote configuration. For this application one requires either an IP controlled mixer with an IP network connected volume control, or a box that has the capability of accepting a remote pot wired "however".

Any of the modern standard DSP boxes with an Ethernet port and external control options should be able to do what you need, so Soundweb London Blu, Symetrix, Hal, Biamp, all of which I've touched or played with, though not necessarily anything like the current versions of! The Extron DMP 64 may be the answer; I've no hands on experience, but its a relatively cheap unit, seems to tick the boxes, but isn't a fully configurable box like the others, but may well do enough for the application. Bit more out there, the Ateis 8x8 DSP, which used to be available from Thomann, but it seems they no longer carry the brand. Its a lot like a clone of a Soundweb 8x8 but with knobs on the front.

Hi Pete,

As well as choosing the correct DSP/mixer/preamp, make sure you consider how you are actually going to connect the unit from afar.

If you have access to the router on site, you could set up port forwarding so that you can access the device over the web. A VPN is another option but requires the correct hardware on site. The most reliable method may involve an inexpensive PC on site with TeamViewer or VNC.

David mentioned Symetrix products of which I am particularly familiar (I am the UK distributor). They have a nice document covering the issue of port forwarding for accessing some of their products remotely - HERE. If Symetrix is an option for you, have a look at the Jupiter line. This seems to tick the boxes and is reasonably cost effective.

Apologies for the blatant plug.

Stu

Archived