Safety curtain coming out of the floor?

Jevans

A couple of weeks into being TM at my new haunt: does anyone know of any theatre anywhere (indeed, anywhere in the world) that still have an operational safety curtain that rises from the floor rather than coming in from the flys? We're wondering if the ADC Cambridge is actually the only one!

A couple of weeks into being TM at my new haunt: does anyone know of any theatre anywhere (indeed, anywhere in the world) that still have an operational safety curtain that rises from the floor rather than coming in from the flys? We're wondering if the ADC Cambridge is actually the only one!

Doesn't the iron in the Lyttleton have part of it rise?

I'd imagine people don't have them rising up as in the event of total power loss in the building you won't be able to depend on gravity for it to come in.

It could be arranged such that the falling of a weight, would raise the curtain by means of a simple arrangement of chains and pulleys. I have seen a fire shutter in a warehouse that worked thus.

I'd imagine people don't have them rising up as in the event of total power loss in the building you won't be able to depend on gravity for it to come in.

It could be arranged such that the falling of a weight, would raise the curtain by means of a simple arrangement of chains and pulleys. I have seen a fire shutter in a warehouse that worked thus.

Yes, that's how ours works. There's no power required for raising or lowering.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, went to the Barbican last year for the ABTT new grid visit and they graciously demonstrated the Iron for us, out from the stage and in from the stalls. Roughly the bottom third of it rises.

It has to be the shiniest safety curtain ever.

Archived