Lighting bar size

solex

Hey All,

I know this is quite a basic question, but ive found so many different answers to it, its hard to check if answers are talking about the UK or the right kind of bar.

What is the standard thickness and diameter of steel bar used for lwb's and general lighting bars in the uk?

Cheers

Sol

Steel scaffold tube to BS EN 39 will be 48.3mm OD with a wall thickness of 4mm is generally used for most lighting position metalwork.

Aluminium scaffold tube will be 1 29/32" OD with a wall thickness of 7SWG, and is used for IWB's and applications which require lighter materials than steel.

That is how my supplier (Aalco) categorise both steel and aluminium tube.

and before scaffold tube, it was steel gas barrel - which they still sell, usually 3.2mm wall thickness now, 48mm OD in metric money. In my summer venue we routinely hung kit on a conveniently placed lighting bar, to find out twenty years later it was actually live gas - when they came to cap it off and disconnect it!

Although the actual size was 1 7/8" it was often refereed to as 2" barrel.

A theatre studio space was being fitted out and they specified 2" barrel so the builders actually installed genuine 2" barrel.

The hook clamps would not fit so a 1 7/8" barrel was hung below the 2" barrel.

Cheers

Gerry

Archived