12v vintage bulb

nunny

In general the modern but vintage style LED filament bulbs are only available for line voltage.

As has already been said, each "filament" consists of a large number of small LEDs in series, that in total require more than 12 volts. A step up circuit within the lamp could be utilised, as with 12 volt CFLs, but presumably the market is too small for anyone to have developed such.

To work one of these lamps from a battery I would use an inverter, small ones are now very cheap.

I've been down this exact line recently. With my wedding less than 3 weeks away (eeep) and with Eddison a surname (wrong spelling I know) it seemed apt to have some vintage-looking light bulbs on display. I'd hoped to have some on stands down the tables. With kids being around I reasoned that low voltage might be safer. I searched high and low but couldn't find any and in the end, gave up. I did buy a few and try them on 30V DC just to see if they'd light up, but they didn't.

I did wonder about trying to remove the innards of the lamps and coming up with something using EL wire, but it wasn't really bright enough.

I've been down this exact line recently. With my wedding less than 3 weeks away (eeep) and with Eddison a surname (wrong spelling I know) it seemed apt to have some vintage-looking light bulbs on display. I'd hoped to have some on stands down the tables. With kids being around I reasoned that low voltage might be safer. I searched high and low but couldn't find any and in the end, gave up.

If they're low enough power you could run them through a shaver transformer, which would isolate them from earth. Or get some intended for USA 110V and run them through a building site transformer, which will drop the voltage to earth to 55V.

12V ones are available

https://www.12vmonster.com/search?type=product&q=*12v%20filament*

http://www.lumenalights.com/shop/6W-LED-Candle-Bulb-ES-Warm-White-12V.html - this would give you the LEDs and driver if not the completely correct shape and filament look

Archived