Guns again!

lozenge

Looking in to putting on a production of Stephen Sondheim's Assassins and wanted to know if anyone had any advice on the guns.

Need to get about 11 guns in all most of which need to be able to fire (10 handguns and 1 rifle). It sounds like a technical nightmare but must be possible somehow.

What sort of money are you looking at for something of this nature? And how does the licensing work?

Any ideas would be helpful. Thanks.

I believe that you should be able to use standard blanks guns without much of an issue. You'll have to talk to your council entertainment licensing people about it though, but they should be relatively ok with it.

You need stage blanks and not conventional blanks - conventional blanks tend to fire quite a lot of stuff out the front which is dangerous.

Lastly, they are bloody loud. I've lost 20% of my hearing in my right ear from a friend of mine firing off a blank about a foot away (edit: it was most certainly not pointed at me, of course). Needless to say I wasn't best pleased.

The relevant HSE blurb is here. I've never actually used live weapons on stage - for smaller productions it's easier to use pyros, but I suspect that would be quite difficult for 11 guns :stagecrew: - I can't imagine it would be cheap though...

When we did the hire company had to sort out some sort of license and as a condition they had to be under lock and key. The reason I was told was that they would be perfectly fine to hold up a shop with and that a man with a big drill some imagination (and no fear of loosing his hand \ no common sense) could turn them into live weapons.

If it LOOKs like a gun it is a controlled firearm even if it is a dummy/ deactivated / replica. Someone will have to be your production armourer and supervise the guns. Its just as easy to hold up a post office with a deactivated weapon as a live and working one.

You don't need a license for BB, air or blank guns normally, only weapons which are able to fire live rounds. Of course in a theatre you even need a license for a cigarette on stage, so it's a completely different kettle of fish.

You don't need a license for BB, air or blank guns normally, only weapons which are able to fire live rounds

From personal expierence, the law changed about a year and a half ago classifying BB guns , replicas, etc to be in the same band as a LIVE HANDGUN when carried in any public place.

Im knowing this from when I took one on the street to have a bb Fight with a mate and ended up with a police caution. :P

saying this though, they ovbiously won't throw you in jail.

Sitting in my van 3 months ago, I watched two lads with a (later I.d'd ) BB gun gat a full firearms squad SO19 arrest for being in a public place with one gun. The name of the nations recommended hire company, who will do the licence applications for you, is on here in the old posts, KEEP Searching! Only your local Police firearms unit will be up to date with the gun law, and as MSER has come in RECENTLY even they are struggling to fully understand the storage of explosives ( the ammunition ) regs. MSER was passed rapidly after the gen election became imminent and not all the codes of practise were finished! BUT it is still the LAW now since the twentysomethingth of April.

It can be done - I did a production of Assassins last year and we used 'real' guns.

We got a friendly Special Constable with a gun licence to act as our armourer, and he controlled the guns and ammo, taking them away every night, and counting the ammo after each performance to properly account for every shot fired.

Our theatre only seats 124, and the stage is only 15 feet deep. They were bloody loud! The one where the KFC bucket is being shot always seemed to be the loudest for some reason.

I also did a version of 'Popcorn' earlier this year, and this used the 'offstage firing' technique which worked well. For Assassins though, you really need the on-stage effect.

My advice would be to find a friendly licensed person to act as your armourer, and check out the requirements with your local authority and the Police. Getting stopped for having a duff brake light on the way home with a boot full of guns could have unwanted consequences!

Jason

When I was on lighting crew for a large scale production (450 seater) of West Side Story they used a starting pistol type gun, and the one going off was loud enough for me at the back of the venue (long distance from stage) so watch the levels on stage (more health and safety).

It has to be said though that nothing can replicate the actual sound of blank firing gun going off on stage.

Without wanting to sound like advertising can I suggest you talk to Howarth Wrightsons in Manchester (0161 335 0220 I think)

I have used them several times for various productions - normally in schools and colleges and their staff (particularly Bob) are very knowledgable and helpful.

They will ship to anywhere in the UK.

With their weapons you don't need a licence however you will need somewhere (a lockable cupboard in a lockable room) to store them and you have to be over 18. Other than that just chat to them - they will tell you everything you need to know. And no I am not linked to them in anyway other than as a satisfied customer.

Archived