RS232 emulator

mac.calder

Hi all. Hoping to pick the brains of the collective - I am swapping out projectors in one of our venues which has rs232 control from amx and crestron controllers. We have project files for none of these devices and really do not want to go through the trouble of paying to rewrite the control system from scratch.

Communication is one direction - control to projector, there is no need to query the projectors for status at any point. What I am looking for is essentially a device that can listen for command "x" and then spit out "y" - for about 10 or so different commands.

I am aware it is not a huge programming task to diy, but I don't want someone else having to do this again in 4 years time.

Cheers - that would certainly do the job... but it would almost work out cheaper to reprogram the touch panels than to buy 8-12 of those puppies. I have found this but it is not exactly "off the shelf"... Any other suggestions most welcome.

I know my stock response is always "program an Arduino" but this really does sound like the perfect task for one. Are the input and output baud rates the same?

Dave

generally manufacturers retain the same basic rs232 commands so depending what units they are it may well just work. Panasonics have a usefull feature as mentioned where you can emulate older units which is handy for a reinstlall. Obviosly if you are not staying with a manufacturer, you will have to do something about it. Its however going to be easier to just reprogramm as if you go for emulators , theres going to be both a hardware and programming cost, so cant see how you get round that. In my experience as theres not actually that amx / crestron programmers around, its not that hard to track down who did it originally and get the project files, they may well also be stored on the system anyway.

I know my stock response is always "program an Arduino" but this really does sound like the perfect task for one.

In some ways, you're not wrong; any half decent programmer could knock out the software to do what's required in a couple of hours. The problem is finding a hardware platform that has the requisite pair of RS232 ports, and has a box available. When you need "8-12 of these puppies" that's a lot of hardware assembling and box bashing.

Archived