Call / cue light suggestions?

Leuko.lkm

Hi guys, new to this forum glad to be here. I'm wondering if anyone can help me out. I'm currently working in an auditorium as a FOH audio tech. Basically, the Stage manager and Head Mech want me to be on coms at all times. I've told them this isn't really possible, as occasionally I need to hear with BOTH ears to mix effectively.

They have asked me to install a call/cue light system so they can get my attention if I am off coms. I would need to do this on a budget of than AUD$100. It would be great if I could just do this wirelessly. If I couldn't do it wirelessly within budget I would use the in-house xlr patching to get signal from the SM desk to FOH. 48V or 12V power are both options. I'd imagine 12v would be easier to find led latch switch options. (I believe these are also called panel switches, like those used on electrical switchboards)

The light flashing LED at my FOH mix position would be triggered from the stage manager's desk. Ideally, I would like there to be a flashing latch switch led (all in one) at the stage manager's desk so they remember to turn it off. I do not require a switch at mix position.

Sorry about the essay, anyone have any thoughts on the best way to do this?

(Excuse me while I put on my flame retardant sound guy suit)

Cheers!

Luke.

Just to clarify, the switch / button at the SM desk would be lit at all times, then when pressed, flash at SM and FOH mix pos. When pressed at SM desk again, stay lit at SM desk and turn off at FOH mix pos.

Thanks!

I'm guessing your current comms don't have a flashing light. Most have this already built in. You can also get flashing units only made for, amoungst others, sounds guys.

Don't know about AU sources by Candford in the UK make all this and distribute worldwide.

Althernatively making something would be easy and probably cheaper. LED flasing unit, 12v PSU and some XLRs for your patch bay.

If you're good with a soldering iron there are various projects around on the web that will use the call light on your cans system to flash a strobe/light a lamp.

There are also off the shelf products available.

What cans system do you have?

You can add an external light to an existing belt pack, much easier now we have low current high brightness led's. If you do not have a beltpack, then the cheapest option is to buy a kit from Altronics, here in Perth, WA K5250 Belt Pack Intercom Kit . The one shown has a small 3mm led on it, but the internal circuitry is a transistor that is capable of driving a higher brightness led.

These are a party line intercom set, so when someone presses a call button, every belt pack on the ring flashes their call indicator.

Pro Design Lighting in Kingsley, Perth, WA have a Blazon signaling lamp that will do what you want. It is a Production Intercom accessory.

Hey guys, thanks for your input. Much appreciated. We currently using a RadioComm system...wired and wireless options. I use a wired belt pack. It does have a call light on it, though it doesn't flash and it is only 3x1mm. Someone would have to hold their call button in or press it repeatedly until I noticed it was on.

Ive been wearing the pack on my belt so I can reach it easily. I also don't have anywhere to put the pack in my line of sight (console in the way) that would allow me to hit the talk button either, (I'd have to stand up to reach and hit the talk button).

It would be cool to get an external light (patched from the loop out of the pack) to flash when the call light is pressed.No one else on coms uses the call function anyway so it would always be for me. I haven't seen that discussed anywhere on the Web, but I will have a look.

Cheers guys.

It would be cool to get an external light (patched from the loop out of the pack) to flash when the call light is pressed.No one else on coms uses the call function anyway so it would always be for me. I haven't seen that discussed anywhere on the Web, but I will have a look.

Lots of things like this which just plug in to the comms circuit...

3230753_800.jpg

http://www.thomann.d...f477033c9eaf3f0 (just an example, there are others)

Why do you have to organise the tools for the stage management?

There is an App called stagecue for ios and android. I haven't used it.

Cu Alexander

It may not be like this in Europe, but in the Australian touring world, typically coms, cuelights and stage monitors fall under sound (coms and cue lights often run over the same multi, so that is the justification there, and conductor monitor means dealing with the orchestra... so sound). So it is not unusual for the sound department to be asked to source a cue light. Especially as Stage Management team might be quite small and not overly technical - it is often wise to keep non-technical SM's as far away from show critical equipment installation as possible.

So I had a bit more of a search around and found Illumineering's Combit. Cool little solution. I've asked them if it's compatible with the Telex system, and wether they ship to Australia. I don't think a big flashing strobe would go down too well in the auditorium so I think something a bit more inconspicuous is good. I'll just have to tell crew to keep flashing the call light until I answer.

If I can't get the combit, I will try to find a wiring diagram for a diy job. I'm not great at reading schematics, but I can learn. Apparently the telex system is compatible with clearcom so there should be more information on the diy hacks.

Thanks again.

Luke.

Why do you have to organise the tools for the stage management?

There is an App called stagecue for ios and android. I haven't used it.

Cu Alexander

It may not be like this in Europe, but in the Australian touring world, typically coms, cuelights and stage monitors fall under sound (coms and cue lights often run over the same multi, so that is the justification there, and conductor monitor means dealing with the orchestra... so sound). So it is not unusual for the sound department to be asked to source a cue light. Especially as Stage Management team might be quite small and not overly technical - it is often wise to keep non-technical SM's as far away from show critical equipment installation as possible.

you will also find this is the case in the UK (coms dealt with by Snd dept). Don't know about Europe, we're not in it any more.

you will also find this is the case in the UK (coms dealt with by Snd dept). Don't know about Europe, we're not in it any more.

Yep. Usual practice here in the UK too. However, our course puts the duty for cue lights and often comms in the lap of the SM team. No point in not being able to deal with your own systems. But then we also make all students learn basic Qlab, and the lx and sound desks for a similar reason.

Just to add a little sophistication to Paul's suggestion how about this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xncnycfcfninhrm/LED%20call%20light.jpg?dl=0

It uses all three conductors of a tie line/multi to make a two way switch as used to turn your stair lights on or off from either top or bottom. If you replace one of the leds with a flashing one then they should both flash (assuming the "off" current in the flasher is near zero). Choose battery and limiting resistor to suit the current you need. Don't know who you have in Oz but eg. Maplins over here sell these

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/5mm-flashing-red-led-qy96e

Dave

Edit for b.... autocorrect

Hi there,

sorry for my rant earlier on. Bad mood and dying phone battery. ;-)

It's the same here in Germany. Intercom is provided by the sound department most of the time.

However, our course puts the duty for cue lights and often comms in the lap of the SM team. No point in not being able to deal with your own systems. But then we also make all students learn basic Qlab, and the lx and sound desks for a similar reason.

That's what I wanted to talk about.

@Leuko.lkm

There is actualy an =172&fam[]=81&fam[]=180&fam[]=90"]external quelight by RTS.

It was well hidden. ;-)

@all the others.

Has anybody had a go on the stagecue system?

what was your experience?

Alexander

Archived