Incandescent Christmas Tree / Pea Lights

James

Evening all,

Long time since I've posted anything here (haven't been doing much recently due to a recent influx of children..) but ended up lighting a simple show this week. Mostly it's a black box stage with a couple of set pieces including some basic trees that after seeing the set they are crying out for something to be done to them.

In the past, I'd be tempted to run a few strings of plain white Christmas tree lights up them and stick them on a spare dimmer channel (with possibly a dummy load) (yes it's cheesy but the show would suit that sort of effect)

Unfortunately the days where I could order whole strings of lights for a few quid from CPC on next day delivery appear to have gone and everything nowadays appears to be LED.

So....

Can anyone recommend a supplier of strings of incandescent white Christmas tree style lights that won't break the bank? (Ideally that could deliver in the next 48 hours...)

Has anyone done a similar effect with the modern LED strings of lights and if so how do you control them (on a budget)? (If I had to I could put them on a switch pack to black them out on cue but would rather be able to fade them out and potentially add a 'twinkle' by x fading between a few strings.

Thanks

James.

ssld.co.uk have a star cloth controller which will drive up to 8 strings of 5volt LEDs. If you were to use the battery powered tree lights available all over eBay eg http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AA-Battery-Operated-40-LED-Christmas-Tree-Fairy-Garden-Party-String-Lights-5M-/111504071781?var=&hash=item19f6291c65:m:m-1048rxTAAJz6ZEzsqct8Q and chop off the battery box you could run one string of those from each channel. The lights are designed for 3xAA cells which is about 4.5V. That would be fine on 5V. Talk to Gary at SSLD.

Another +1 for lights4fun's old fashioned real light bulbs.

(They do sell LED as well, but if you get these you can just run them off a dimmer channel like the good old days. LED fairy lights do not work properly on dimmers and don't look as good either in my opinion)

Evening all,

Long time since I've posted anything here (haven't been doing much recently due to a recent influx of children..) but ended up lighting a simple show this week. Mostly it's a black box stage with a couple of set pieces including some basic trees that after seeing the set they are crying out for something to be done to them.

In the past, I'd be tempted to run a few strings of plain white Christmas tree lights up them and stick them on a spare dimmer channel (with possibly a dummy load) (yes it's cheesy but the show would suit that sort of effect)

Unfortunately the days where I could order whole strings of lights for a few quid from CPC on next day delivery appear to have gone and everything nowadays appears to be LED.

So....

Can anyone recommend a supplier of strings of incandescent white Christmas tree style lights that won't break the bank? (Ideally that could deliver in the next 48 hours...)

Has anyone done a similar effect with the modern LED strings of lights and if so how do you control them (on a budget)? (If I had to I could put them on a switch pack to black them out on cue but would rather be able to fade them out and potentially add a 'twinkle' by x fading between a few strings.

Thanks

James.

Fairy Lights

Used these on a show a couple of weeks ago. Worked fine and next day delivery available.

Archived