Balancing box...

Ynot

I need to get a couple of Phono to balanced XLR boxes but don't seem to be able to find anything at the usual sources, partly because I think I'm searching for the wrong thing perhaps.

I've always called these balancing boxes, and we already have a couple at the theatre (but I'm not there so can't check what's writ on them)...

If I search against phono (or RCA) and XLR converter, all I get are cables (which I don't want) or these beasties (which are a bit half-assed for a semi permanent duty cycle).

So - what else might they be called that I'm missing??

I have used the ART DTI box for a mono PA installation whereby one side was intended to provide isolation for an input to the system and the other an output from the system.

When I used it with a PC input only to the system it worked fine, but when I used it as an input and output interface to a mixer I got high pitched isolation. When I replaced it with either a couple of old boxes I had made using Sowter transformers (Or it might have been a dual Techpro box) all was well.

It led me to believe that all was not as I expected it to be with the isolation but I have yet to investigate it further and will hopefully do so soon.

An Art box which I did find useful (Not relevant to the O.P. I know.) for a local vicar who wanted to plug an iPad in in various churches (usually using an installed FXLR mic socket) without risk of Phantom power up it, was the ART AV Direct. It had 2 phone inputs and a stereo mini jack input to single MXLR output with volume control. The first one I received was dead on arrival which was surprising since it is passive but its replacement was fine.

something like this or this

Yup - they look possible. :)

If you're looking at line level in and out and want a simple, good quality product, then how about this (with a couple of adapters on the inputs);

http://www.orchid-el...al_isolator.htm

Nope, not really.

Whilst that says they can supply with XLR on the outputs, I'm looking for RCA/phono inputs and that's just jacks - and if I'm looking for a solution, I don't really want to include adaptors (extra fault liability) from the off if there's a product that doesn't need them.

Whilst that says they can supply with XLR on the outputs, I'm looking for RCA/phono inputs and that's just jacks - and if I'm looking for a solution, I don't really want to include adaptors (extra fault liability) from the off if there's a product that doesn't need them.

I'm sure John would build you one with whatever you want as the input.

Archived