Sennheiser XSW35 & 65

safetyman

Anyone used either of these two mic systems ?

I am thinking of getting the '35 for general vocal duties live. It is, at present a toss-up between the XSW35 and the Audio Technica System 10

I am leaning towards the XSW 35 as there appear to be handling noise probs with the System 10, as well as interference probs from mobile phones, iPads etc etc.

Cheers

Ive not used or seen the system 10 but I have some and have sold some of the sennheiser xsw. A very good budget option which I've had no issues with, my normal stuff is the sennheiser G3 but when I need extra or have overlapping booking the xsw comes out. The only comment on them is the transmitters are a little plastic feeling, I get the impression with the hand held stuff that a decent drop on to a hard surface would breaks something. But for the price you can't expect a metal body.

I have several channels of XSW35 mics--I've had them for a bit over 2 years now and totally pleased with my purchase. The mic capsule is the same as an 835 which has long been a favourite of mine for live vocal use--I had a chance last year to have a shoot out between a wired SM58 (a vocalist brought his own and wanted to use it) and the Sennheiser won hands down on feedback rejection, handling noise and just an overall smoother, more natural sound. FYI, said vocalist went out soon after and bought his own.

Battery life is good and I've never had any problem with range etc. (though I've never pushed it really hard). The auto tuning works well and has been useful--I have an annual gig where the client brings a bunch of his own mics (AT I believe but I don't remember the model). It's useful to turn his on then set mine hunting for usable frequencies. (FYI here in Aus you can basically use an frequency you want as long as you don't cause interference--mine are in a range well away from local UHF transmitters. You'd have to be more fussy in the UK to stay legal.

FYI, I also have some of the XSW12 systems which I use with cheapie Chinese headsets. They also work well.

Anyhow, I don't have personal experience with the XSW65 so I can't compare--but I'm very happy with the systems I have.

Archived