Dimmers / distro

nunny

Last year we had a rack with 2 x paradime patch dimmers in which seems to have left a hole in the hire stock for compact patchable hot / dim distro, we looked at getting the Avo cube, but the no patching availability rules that out, then there is the T2, which I feel is very overpriced and has a lot of stuff on we wouldn't need.

Does anyone have any good solutions to bring socapex into a compact unit giving 12 channels of dim and 12 channels of hot without the need for a major custom build?

It's a shame light processor have ceased production of the patch dimmers, they are such an amazing versatile unit.

Thanks in advance.

I have seen people using powercubes with tail outs and tail ins to create a patch - it's not the prettiest solution though... I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to create a rack with socas in and out on the back with a patchbay on the front? Obviously an all in one unit would be preferable, but if you get stuck it's an idea.

Thanks for this.

I did think about that, it would just turn it into quite a big unit..

Beauty of the patch dimmers, you can stick / hide them in most places and saves a lot of hardware. All in a 3u rack.

Could you go with the smallest ART2000 unit? Exactly the same dimmers but with the patching.

we do have an art 2k rack, they are an amazing piece of kit, just not compact enough for what we need.

As Jon says, a patch can be bodged using fan ins / outs but it's a mess. What do need a hard patch for exactly? Dims and hot down 1 soca?

we often have smaller events where its a lot easier to split dim / hot down a soca, ideal world would to be use a cube, and not split, but we dont live in an ideal world :)

As Jon says, a patch can be bodged using fan ins / outs but it's a mess. What do need a hard patch for exactly? Dims and hot down 1 soca?

we often have smaller events where its a lot easier to split dim / hot down a soca, ideal world would to be use a cube, and not split, but we dont live in an ideal world :)

You can send hot power down some channels by switching the appropriate channels to "always on" mode on the dim curve menu. Obviously that takes up a dimmer channel and can make the dimmer patch a bit random to deal with the missing channels, but it works.

edit -- just checked the manual and it doesn't have an "always on" setting... however I'm sure I have done that before. Maybe it wasn't an avo rack. Confused now, but anyway ignore my post as it's not correct. I guess you could use preheat set to 100% instead but it's a bit of a bodge.

As Jon says, a patch can be bodged using fan ins / outs but it's a mess.

Could you build / manufacture a slightly more elegant unit? E.g. a case with socapex tails for input, output sockets, and sockets/inlets for the patch leads on the top?

You can send hot power down some channels by switching the appropriate channels to "always on" mode on the dim curve menu. Obviously that takes up a dimmer channel and can make the dimmer patch a bit random to deal with the missing channels, but it works.

edit -- just checked the manual and it doesn't have an "always on" setting... however I'm sure I have done that before. Maybe it wasn't an avo rack. Confused now, but anyway ignore my post as it's not correct. I guess you could use preheat set to 100% instead but it's a bit of a bodge.

The LSC GenVI is switch able between Hot and Dim per channel, done via relays so no electronics to fry, 12 Channels per dimmer.

Archived