Two Articles about the Sound Design for 'Hamilton'

alexforey

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Who else would do the system design?

I would have thought most theatres have a fixed install, subject to a few extra speakers here and there for effect or monitors. Many theatres in the West End appeared to have the same sound system every time I went for the most part (specifically Wyndham's, NT, RC, Donmar, etc.), especially as some have speakers embedded into the walls. That said, I'm an LD, so I'm happy to be corrected.

It varies. Spaces like the National that see many productions a year have a large fixed install of PA that is designed for the venue, yes, but even so each major production will bring in extra equipment (sometimes very large amounts) as the sound designer deems necessary (and can afford on their budget) to suit a particular production. West End venues and large touring houses on the other hand tend to have very little installed, as each production will bring their own. Counter intuitively smaller touring houses often have more installed as there's less budget/need for variation per production.

For example, the 1800 seat ATG venue down the road from me has (to my knowledge) no installed sound whatsoever other than an announcement system. Every time I've been in there we've brought absolutely everything, hung our own line arrays, put in a console, racks, amps, multis etc. On the other hand the 550 seater across the street has an installed PA, patch system, wireless rack, console and a store full of mics, cable and so on. Tours into there vary as to how much equipment they might bring.

"Rep" spaces like the RSC, NT that do more in house are different to the "West End" spaces that involve much more brought in externally for each show, essentially.

Most theatres have an install for their own productions, hires and events - but even modest shows tour their own systems so the overall feel remains the same in every venue. If the venue system is suitable, the show might use it - for extra coverage of perhaps known tricky locations, but the sound designer chooses systems that let his idea sound good - and this means equipment that is predictable and suitable. Part of the sound designers job. If somebody takes a sound design job with an already installed system - it's unknown, and frequently just not what you really want - but sometimes, the term sound designer really means something very different from the next job with identical title.

On a totally different subject - I have no idea why this musical has caught people's enthusiasm. I've not yet heard one nice song from it, and can't quite get a grip on why a musical about the American founding fathers is popular here? Nothing makes me want to see it at all? What have I missed?

On a totally different subject - I have no idea why this musical has caught people's enthusiasm. I've not yet heard one nice song from it, and can't quite get a grip on why a musical about the American founding fathers is popular here? Nothing makes me want to see it at all? What have I missed?

I really like the music. It took me a few listens through the album but it grew on me. Also, because it's LMM, who stars in it, and wrote the lyrics, script, and music.

Interesting, I wonder if part of the problem with the whole Tony thing is that Sound Designer isn't as well defined. On the one hand, you have shows that are very heavy on the composition/soundscape/effect front, and some that are more about the 'science' of amplifying voices in a space as transparently as possible, and maybe that's what the Tonys assume that's all it is. ("Science" in inverted commas because I don't actually believe that there's no art in it)

I'm not sure but it's certainly got the Broadway babes in a tizz.

Just heard an interview (Jonathan Woss) with people queueing for tickets - that are going for up to TWELVE HUNDRED DOLLARS a piece...

That is INSANE in my opinion.

But I've not heard any of the music yet, so no input on that from me... Yet....

Interesting, I wonder if part of the problem with the whole Tony thing is that Sound Designer isn't as well defined. On the one hand, you have shows that are very heavy on the composition/soundscape/effect front, and some that are more about the 'science' of amplifying voices in a space as transparently as possible, and maybe that's what the Tonys assume that's all it is. ("Science" in inverted commas because I don't actually believe that there's no art in it)

That's generally held to be the main issue. It's about as much rubbish as claiming lighting design is only about lighting things so they can be seen. It is however notable that sound designers sometimes aren't as good at presenting themselves as a design discipline, particularly on musicals where amplification dominates over playback.

Sound designers are I think much more likely to take a greater role in the system design than a lighting designer (on a large production) - an LD won't care too much exactly which dimmers are being used, what brand the DMX distro is, or how the soca runs were labeled, as long as it all works: they'll have handed that sort of thing off to the Prod LX, in an ideal world. A sound designer on the other hand is much more likely to have opinions about types of amplifiers or other such details. Neither is wrong, it doesn't mean the LD is missing things or that the SD is in too deep, it's just the way each discipline operates and has evolved.

Personally I can't get myself too worked up about the lack of a Tony for my field: That may be because I'm currently in no position to win one but I'd much rather concentrate on things the audience sees and hears rather than having arguments over awards.

Just heard an interview (Jonathan Woss) with people queueing for tickets - that are going for up to TWELVE HUNDRED DOLLARS a piece...

I think (although I may have mis-heard) that's something to do with a lead actor imminently leaving so there's a mad rush to see it before they go.

I think (although I may have mis-heard) that's something to do with a lead actor imminently leaving so there's a mad rush to see it before they go.

Even so............ :o

Who else would do the system design?

I would have thought most theatres have a fixed install, subject to a few extra speakers here and there for effect or monitors. Many theatres in the West End appeared to have the same sound system every time I went for the most part (specifically Wyndham's, NT, RC, Donmar, etc.), especially as some have speakers embedded into the walls. That said, I'm an LD, so I'm happy to be corrected.

On Broadway in NY the theaters have no sound systems at all. The theater is rented by the production as an empty box with no lighting but houselights and no sound, with the possible exception of dressing room monitoring. the sound designer is responsible for both the creative design and the system design to support it.

Mac

On Broadway in NY the theaters have no sound systems at all. The theater is rented by the production as an empty box with no lighting but houselights and no sound, with the possible exception of dressing room monitoring. the sound designer is responsible for both the creative design and the system design to support it.

Mac

Thanks, TIL. Do sound designers share information between themselves about what tends to work well as the basis of a system in any given theatre, or gotchas about the theatre? It seems like a lot of work to be redone on every show, given that the space itself isn't changing, although, again, I don't know much about large-scale sound design. In the same way as an LD might say "that position is pretty much useless, so for x system, it's better coming from over there"

Having seen many clips now, sadly, I find the image of period dressed cast lurching around the stage amusing. Something that belongs in the Producers. Lovely set, great costumes, brilliant lighting, and ludicrous mismatched content. It's clear why it's a hit. Can't wait for the schools version. Actually, it might be good for the industry because it might mean the whooping, yelling and shouting members of the audiences in conventional shows might go and see it instead of spooling the atmosphere in the 'normal' shows.

Grumpy old man mode engaged accidentally, sorry.

Archived