Coemar Passo fresnel, which lamp to use?

marktownend

Hi BR,

Not getting an answer from Google, Coemar's website or the BR wiki and am hoping for a quicker answer here than via Coemar themselves.

Which lamp should go in Coemar Passo fresnels please? (Recently picked up 3 used ones which had a mixture of lamps in so no way of telling which one is correct!).

Thanks.

The ones I have used had T11/T19's in. I have found a picture of the rating plate on Google and it doesn't give a lamp type. What lamps have yours got in?

They are optically a bit crude so I would have thought any GX9.5 lamp would be about as good as any other - ideally you want the centre of the filament to line up with the centre of the lens.

http://I.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzUwWDEwMDA=/z/B08AAOSwl9BWMgic/$_1.JPG

I have just sold one of these lanterns and, whilst T11/T19 1000w lamps are obviously correct for the GX9.5 base, I am convinced that I had mine lamped @ 650W with a T26/T27 (GY9.5)for many years as I have never had any stock of GX9.5 lamps (the lantern was still working perfectly when it was collected by the buyer). The correct 650W lamp for this base however seems to be T12/ T21. Perhaps I did buy one of these GX lamps specifically but don't remember doing so and I would normally bought 2 of a specific lamp so I could carry a 'spare' .

I have just sold one of these lanterns and, whilst T11/T19 1000w lamps are obviously correct for the GX9.5 base, I am convinced that I had mine lamped @ 650W with a T26/T27 (GY9.5)for many years as I have never had any stock of GX9.5 lamps (the lantern was still working perfectly when it was collected by the buyer). The correct 650W lamp for this base however seems to be T12/ T21. Perhaps I did buy one of these GX lamps specifically but don't remember doing so and I would normally bought 2 of a specific lamp so I could carry a 'spare' .

It's possible to fit a GY lamp in a GX base as the "larger" pin on the GY is the same size as the GX pins. If the lampholder spring contacts are springy enough then it will still make contact with the small pin and work. Or maybe there are some out there with GY bases.

I thought the light output was disappointing even at 1000W - weren't they rather dim at 650W? The Selecon Acclaim 650W fixtures I also had were actually brighter than the 1K Coemars.

I thought the light output was disappointing even at 1000W - weren't they rather dim at 650W? The Selecon Acclaim 650W fixtures I also had were actually brighter than the 1K Coemars.

I agree that the output at 650W was not brilliant (pun intended) but I was often constrained on wattage by available power supplies in halls . It is a big beastie for it's meagre output but It did an adequate job in some circumstances with decent (flood/spot) beam option. 1000W definitely better choice if possible.

Thanks chaps, that's great.

I'm not at my workshop now so can't check, but guess I'd missed the GX9.5 when I looked at the label! Or it's not printed on mine.

Not sure without checking which ones were fitted, but I know that at least one had different sized pins so presumably someone had stuffed a GY9.5 lamp in. Will check the existing lampholders before ordering some lamps.

And yes, they are a bit chunky aren't they - I hadn't realised before they turned up how big they are, especially in comparison to my Minuettes which are the only other fresnels I've got! Brightness doesn't matter too much as they're only likely to get used occasionally in relatively small marquees.

Archived